another newbie question. UV sterilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleymike

Super Active Member
Is it worth getting one. What are the benefits.
Will it prevent diseases. Like ich.
thanks for any help
Was looking at the one that goes inside the tank.
Mike

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
It will kill ich in the free floating stage
It will take some strain of a sick ich fish.
It will not cure it since ich live in the sand bed for a part of its life.
It will kill algae spoores that run though it
It will kill anythign that goes through it
Including bacteria you liek to have
Does it matter in the grand scheme of things...... no.  The amount of bacteria free floating compared to the amount on the surface of the tanks and raock is like 1 to 1000000000 ( i made that number up)
In my opinion the fact it kills bacteria does not even register on my list of concerns
My brother runs a big one and his fish are happy .. never sick... never any issues at all.  They are expensive though.

Please commence debate :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I personally don't use one.. haven't had any issues without one what so ever.. I think your better off without one, I don't want to kill everything that goes through those things, If its alive in my water I figure its good and should be there.

harleymike

Super Active Member
I got looking at it because one of my damsel's that i have had since setting up the tank has a white spot on him now.
I was thinking ich, but not sure yet. The others are fine.
I then, upon googling ich, got looking at uv steralizer's.
I am going too have too set up a quartine tank, used too have one, but didnt bother this time.

I found some that are internal, and run about 100 bucks.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750628

mike

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
the water flow required to kill ich will be very very slow with those units....

parksy

Super Active Member
I placed one inline last week and the water does seem to be a little more clear. Not as many free floating objects.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I am not too sure what to think of any sort of uv sterilizer.....see many people not using them with good results.... Seen people use the uv light in their furnace And in their water...... I believe in some areas it is required to have uv filter for your well water....
Many drank well water drilled much lower without uv..... Kinda skeptical to say the least.....would like to see more info and tests on them.....anyone got some good reading?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spyd

Super Active Member
I do not run a UV sterilizer and never will. As mentioned above, they kill EVERYTHING that passes through them, including beneficial bacteria. As for ich on your Damsal, that would be very odd. It is probably the most hardiest fish in your tank so it should be the last to get it. As long as your fish are eating, then they will get over it.  Feed them with a food that contains garlic and it will go away.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
If there are no spots 20 days from now you are in good shape

Status
Not open for further replies.