Anyone have a spare T5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quartapound

Hi guys,

I'm workin on getting a 40 gallon saltwater tank going (it's been running about 7 weeks now) and have a DIY kit for cree LED's on the way. (I just ordered the kit from rapidled)

I picked up some liverock for a very good price, but with the cheap freshwater flourescent I have over it, it's starting to grow  hair algae and cyano.

I'm curious if anyone is willing to let me borrow a T5 fixture or MH if they have any spare ones laying around, for a few weeks until I can get the LED's wired up and hung over my tank...

I have a good quality skimmer, sump, media reactor with carbon (GFO is on the way)....

the only thing that I havent corrected is my lighting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if someone has a spare fixture laying around that they could do without for 2 weeks, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

C

crazybizzle

if your still workin on it and ur still cycling, dont worry about getting a t5 or mh on it, take the dumb flouresent light off, and ur algae will be gone.  im guessing u dont have any fish or corals in the tank or u would have a proper light already.  other than that if u already ordered your leds should be here in a couple of days so i wouldnt worry.

Quartapound

some of the liverock I picked up for a very VERY low price, from a reefer in Kitchener, with an established tank.  it came with some kenya trees, gsp, mushroom, zoa...

I know my tank is too new to be buying these things, I was buying the rock to be honest.

when I took it home I started to discover how much life is on it (besides coralline)

... if it was just "fresh" liverock  I wouldn't have really minded waiting (leaving it in the dark)

C

crazybizzle

i wouldnt worry to much about die off from using the flouresent if u leave the light off for a couple of days the corals u have should still be alive and algae should die off a bunch.  if u are worried for now just put in a t8 saltwater bulb in ur fixture from petsmart that will help other than that check kijii theres usually small t5 fixtures for a 40 gal for cheap at least under 50 bucks or ask a lfs to borrow one if u give them a security deposit in good faith hope thus helps

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Lower maintenance soft corals will usually live under reg t8 bulbs. Depending on te depth of the tank. It doesn't matter what kind of light you run u are going to get hair algae especially with a new tank. As your nutrient levels rise ie: no3 po4, u will experience a variety of nuisance algae. Ride it out and welcome to the hobby

G

Gietz

Something similar happened to me.  Two weeks into my cycle my used light crapped out on me!! So I didn't run any bulbs until I started putting fish in. I went to the LFS and just got a T8 bulb for saltwater and I'm still running it a month later lol ( just putting the finishing touches on my DIY fixture). I never got any Algee or anything and everything survived. Do what the crazzy pair say, get a light from the LFS

Status
Not open for further replies.