Apex and AFS programming problems

Marz

As usual, I defer to this site to see if I can get some help. I have checked online and other forums, but can't see to get my answer. My struggle in particular is with the defer statement and the FeedA 000 timer.

So, I got a Neptune AFS for father's day, which is really nice as I can set it up while at the cottage (don't have to rely on family to feed :)). Anyway, when I set the FeedA through the buttons or Apex web, it appears that the sump, wavermaker, and skimmer don't come back on. I won't post the whole thing as this should give an idea as to what I have. My question is - when you have the defer statement, a timer for feedA, and a statement feedA 0500, does apex add all the time together: for instance skimmer
7 (v-feed defer) + 7 (maint defer) + 7 (FeedA) = 21 minutes???? Sorry, but struggling here.

Here's what I have:

[v-feed] -> this is the virtual outlet
Set OFF
If Time 19:00 to 19:01 Then ON

[feeder_4_1]
Set OFF
If Outlet v-feed = ON Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

[sump] -> sump pump
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet v-feed = ON Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON
If Outlet Maint = ON Then OFF
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

[skimmer]
Fallback ON
Set ON
Defer 007:00 Then ON
If Outlet Maint = OFF Then ON
If FeedA 007 Then OFF

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
It's your defer adding time. This should help :

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?t=6577

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marz

I read that but was still unclear. In other words, I can remove defer time from all of them?
So, on the skimmer, I can remove both "defers" for maint and v-feed since I already have the FeedA @ 7 mins....or I can only remove the defer for v-feed since I will still need it for maint?

Appreciate your help on this one.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
FeedA 500 Then OFF means
If FeedA is active and for 500 minutes after it has ended, the outlet is off.

A skimmer statement like FeedA 005 Then OFF means
If FeedA is active and for 5 minutes after it has ended, the outlet is off.
The skimmer outlet will be off for 5 minutes after the feed cycle has ended.

Defer statement prevents the outlet from changing state for the defer time, be careful with the defer statement as it affects the whole program.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I use a defer statement with my powerheads.

Virtual outlet
Set OFF
If FeedA 002 then ON
Defer 005 Then ON

My feed cycle is 5 minutes so, 5 min + 2 min = 7 min then ON - 5 min defer(delay) = 2 min ON.
I use this to run my powerheads for 2 minutes full blast after feed.

Marz

First off apologies, as this is somewhat confusing. As I mentioned, I thought I had it then the stuff didn't come back on...or seemed to not come back on
I think I have it...so my
[skimmer]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Maint = OFF Then ON
If FeedA 007 Then OFF

- means that regardless of it I use auto feed (v-feed), "maint"enance, or FeedA - the total time including defer would be 12 minutes.

And last one which I removed the defer statement from...
[Sump]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

- by removing the defer statement, v-feed, maint and FeedA will all last for a 5 minutes/virtual outlet.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
first remove the statement If Outlet Maint = OFF Then ON, it's not required.
also the feed and defer statements should be in the virtual outlet program not the skimmer program.
same goes for the sump which i assume is a pump, remove the feed statement.

Marz

Before I do this. I have an auto feeder that I set to off when I am home and on when I am not. the v-feed was the virtual outlet for the auto feeder, BUT I still want to be able to manually feed the fish with the FeedA. Does your above suggestion still apply?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Outlet v-feed
Set OFF
If FeedA 007 Then ON
means if FeedA is active and for 7 minutes after it has ended the outlet is ON.
so if FeedA is set for 5 minutes then the outlet is on for 12 min.

(skimmer)
Fallback ON
Set ON

the skimmer outlet will be off for 12 minutes when FeedA is activated,

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Marz said:
Before I do this. I have an auto feeder that I set to off when I am home and on when I am not. the v-feed was the virtual outlet for the auto feeder, BUT I still want to be able to manually feed the fish with the FeedA. Does your above suggestion still apply?
If the switch for the AFS outlet is set to OFF then it is OFF no matter what. FeedA will still work for outlets in AUTO like skimmer and pump.

Marz

Hopefully this is the last time. Followed (I think) what you have outlined. Here's my list.
So...when I turn the v-feed on, the auto feeder will feed at 7:00pm. When it is off, FeedA will still work like it used to -> turn off pumps, skimmer, and then delay the skimmer for 5 minutes after the rest come on?

[Feeder_4_1] -> assume my outlet setup for usb connect to AFS
Set OFF

[v-feed] -> virtual outlet, currently in "off" state, but will be set to "on" when away
Set OFF
If FeedA 005 Then ON
If Time 19:00 to 19:01 Then ON -> only want the AFS on at 7:00.

[Sump] ->pump
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Maint = ON Then OFF -> like to have a maintenance so that I can turn on and off

[Wave_Right] -> I also have a virtual outlet for different times of day/pump intensity
Fallback ON
Set ON

[Skimmer]
Fallback ON
Set ON

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Marz said:
Hopefully this is the last time. Followed (I think) what you have outlined. Here's my list.
So...when I turn the v-feed on, the auto feeder will feed at 7:00pm. When it is off, FeedA will still work like it used to -> turn off pumps, skimmer, and then delay the skimmer for 5 minutes after the rest come on?

Set OFF

[v-feed] -> virtual outlet, currently in "off" state, but will be set to "on" when away
Set OFF
If FeedA 005 Then ON

[Sump] ->pump
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Maint = ON Then OFF -> like to have a maintenance so that I can turn on and off

[Wave_Right] -> I also have a virtual outlet for different times of day/pump intensity
Fallback ON
Set ON

[Skimmer]
Fallback ON
Set ON
Not sure why you have the defer statement on the feeder, I assume it's to let the water settle down.
With the time statement in v-feed, you will have to active the feed cycle at precisely 7 pm for it to work.
For wave-rt you can set diff pump profliles and have them come on at diff times in the outlet program without using virtual outlets.
What do you have FeedA set at in minutes?

Marz

Ok, I think I have this figured out. Here's what I am after.

1. I want FeedA to still work when either I press the controller or invoke it through the web. FeedA should turn the skimmer off, the pump (sump) off, and the WP10 off. Then I want the pumps to turn back on after 5 minutes and the skimmer to turn on after 10. Feed interval is now setup for 5 minutes.

2. I then want to have the v-feed (virtual outlet) to control the AFS. When the v-feed is set to "on" I want it to turn the skimmer off, the pump (sump), and the wp10 off. Then, wait 1 minute and do 1 rotation. I want the pumps to remain off for 5 minutes, and the skimmer to remain off for 10

SO here's what I am thinking
Set OFF

Set OFF
If FeedA 000 = ON Then OFF -> if auto feed is on, then FeedA can't be invoked?

[Sump] ->pump
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet v-feed = ON Then OFF -> sump goes off when v-feed is invoked
If FeedA 000 Then OFF -> this should turn the sump off for the FeedA allotted time of 5 minutes (configured under profile I believe)

Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

[Skimmer]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet v-feed = ON Then OFF -> Turn off skimmer if v-feed is on (which will only happen @ 7:00pm)
Defer 02:00 Then ON -> delay the skimmer for 2 minutes after v-feed has completed
If FeedA 005 Then OFF - delays the skimmer for 7 minutes after the 5 minutes of FeedA has been completed.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Marz said:
Ok, I think I have this figured out. Here's what I am after.

1. I want FeedA to still work when either I press the controller or invoke it through the web. FeedA should turn the skimmer off, the pump (sump) off, and the WP10 off. Then I want the pumps to turn back on after 5 minutes and the skimmer to turn on after 10. Feed interval is now setup for 5 minutes.

2. I then want to have the v-feed (virtual outlet) to control the AFS. When the v-feed is set to "on" I want it to turn the skimmer off, the pump (sump), and the wp10 off. Then, wait 1 minute and do 1 rotation. I want the pumps to remain off for 5 minutes, and the skimmer to remain off for 10

SO here's what I am thinking
Set OFF

Set OFF
If FeedA 000 = ON Then OFF -> if auto feed is on, then FeedA can't be invoked?

[Sump] ->pump
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet v-feed = ON Then OFF -> sump goes off when v-feed is invoked
If FeedA 000 Then OFF -> this should turn the sump off for the FeedA allotted time of 5 minutes (configured under profile I believe)

Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

[Skimmer]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet v-feed = ON Then OFF -> Turn off skimmer if v-feed is on (which will only happen @ 7:00pm)
Defer 02:00 Then ON -> delay the skimmer for 2 minutes after v-feed has completed
If FeedA 005 Then OFF - delays the skimmer for 7 minutes after the 5 minutes of FeedA has been completed.
Everything looks like it should work except the defer statement for the skimmer, that will actually keep the skimmer running for 2 minutes after the v-feed outlet is activated. I think you need a min time statement there.
And FeedA 005 Then OFF will delay the skimmer for 5 extra minutes not 7.

Marz

That worked for the FeedA...back to normal! I think I will increase the feed time though so that they get 10mins to eat. Tomorrow I will test the v-feed (auto feed) so that I can see how that works out.
Now I am hoping that the skimmer doesn't come on right with the other pumps

Marz

Well, just had the AFS tested, and it appears that it only makes the skimmer, sump, and wave_right stay off for 2 minutes roughly - I will have to change that - any help? The other thing is that the skimmer comes on at the same time as everything else. It would appear that the placement of the defer statement makes a difference - is this right?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Marz said:
Well, just had the AFS tested, and it appears that it only makes the skimmer, sump, and wave_right stay off for 2 minutes roughly - I will have to change that - any help? The other thing is that the skimmer comes on at the same time as everything else. It would appear that the placement of the defer statement makes a difference - is this right?
It doesn't matter where you place the defer statement, it affects everything in the program.
You have to program each outlet independently and you should not need a defer statement in your skimmer program.
ie, skimmer
Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF, means it's off for the length of FeedA + 5 minutes.
sump
Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF, means it's off for the length of FeedA + 0 minutes

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Marz said:
the best option is to put the defer in the v-feed program to increase length to 5 minutes for everything.
The defer statement delays the outlet changing state, so if the outlet is on it stays on for the length of the defer statement.
I use a defer statement in my powerhead program,
virtual outlet
FeedcycleA
Set OFF
If FeedA 002 Then ON
means when FeedA is active and for 2 min after it has ended the outlet is ON, the Defer 005:00 prevents the outlet from changing for the first 5 min so the outlet turns on for 2 min 5 min after FeedA is activated.
This allows me to run my powerheads full blast for 2 min after feeding.

I can't see why you need a defer statement, try simplifying your program.