Apex Ato/auto Wc System Questions

Discussion in 'Controller Programs, Setups and Questions' started by EricTMah, Jan 6, 2018.

1. EricTMah

EricTMah Aquariums by Design

Hey everyone.

Just recently got my breakout box setup for my ato using outlet #4 on the eb8 and the float/breakout box to trigger the on/off

I've been contemplating setting up an auto wc system using the same method. Using a low water level switch to trigger off the auto wc and a high float to trigger off the fill of the auto wc.

My question is it possible to use the same high water level float for both my ato and my wc system?

Similar to this program for the ato (if say I do the wc between 3pm-330pm)

Fallback off
    Set OFF
    If sx6 open then on
    (This is the part I'm confused about. Will this program work)
    If 15:00 then off
    If 15:30 then on
    (Will that last two lines of code shut the outlet off between 3pm-330pm? And will the outlet return back to normal operation at 330pm or will it stick on because of the last line of code?)

I'd be using similar code for the auto wc pumps. Basically have them off until 3pm then all off by 330pm.

This is what I am thinking for the auto wc program

"Drain"
    Fallback off
    Set OFF
    If 15:00 then on
    If sw6 closed then on
    If sw5 open then off
    If 15:15 then off

"Fill"
    Fallback off
    Set OFF
    If 15:16 then on
    If sw5 open then on
    If sw6 closed then off
    If 15:30 then off

Am I on crack? Or will this work?
    Or should I program the auto wc to happen when I press a feed button? Would that be easier and safer?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

S8

2. Salty Cracker

Salty Cracker Administrator Staff Member Website Admin

I have never been a fan of auto WC, so I won't comment on that, but here is the program for my ato
    Fallback OFF
    If Sw5 OPEN Then OFF
    If Sw5 CLOSED Then ON
    If Time 10:00 to 23:59 Then OFF
    If Output ButtonPushed = ON Then OFF
    If Output Limit_ATO = ON Then OFF

It won't top up during the day (because doing a WC would trigger the low water level and I'd flood the tank with fresh water), and I have a button set up that shuts off the wavemaker, skimmer etc when I want to do a WC (am going to add a couple of other things to that code too, like the phosban pumps which sometimes run dry when doing WC).

Limit ATO just means that ATO will not run if another high level switch is activated (sump level).

Lastly, I have another float in the ATO tub that alerts me to low water level in there too:
    Set OFF
    If Sw6 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw6 OPEN Then OFF
    If Time 07:00 to 19:00 Then OFF

I need it to disable the ATO when level is low, just haven't added that in yet, would keep the pump from sucking air at 2am :)

Hope this helps a bit.

TORX likes this.
  3. EricTMah

Thanks Glenn

I'll have to play with it a bit. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I go forward with this project.

Thx for the tips.

S8

4. Salty Cracker

Salty Cracker Administrator Staff Member Website Admin

I used bulk acrylic for the float switches, just cut strips then melted them at angles, I think I might have used a blowtorch. Easy to set up a whole pile of float switches (I bought a bunch on aliexpress)

TORX likes this.
  5. EricTMah

Ya. I've gotten a few from Amazon.

I'll have to try that trick with the acrylic though. Sounds easy and probably easy to fine tune the height of the switches too.

S8

Salty Cracker and TORX like this.