Apex controller with DIY led

C

Cowfish

I went to Alex website to read about the controllers. Does anyone know if I do a DIY led build can I program the Alex controller to do storms n lightning? It says for diyers u can have as much. Ontrol as u can imagine but it says that I need an Alex ready led system to do the storms n lightning. Does that mean if I can write the program to simulate storms n lighting my DIY led build can do that? Or only if I buy an AI unit Alex ready? Any input appreciated. Thanks

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Ah okay, I wondered if there was an alex peripheral for the apex or something.

Easiest way to do storm settings (I've always thought them silly), would be to plug the drivers for the LEDs into a controlled outlet and just have the apex (or even a timed power bar), kill power to the driver.  This will cause the driver to discharge and do a big 'flash' in the tank.  Mine does it for some reason when the dosers and top-up come on and off.  I have a stormy tank at night. 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
There is no storm functionality built into the apex.  I agree with salty.... Why? other than its neat show people that you can spook the tank :)

C

Cowfish

Wow sorry for the typo suppose to be apex. I didn't catch that my iPhone auto spell changed apex to Alex. Y would simulating a storm freak out the tank? It happens in nature not 100% but don't think it freaks out the inhabitants of the ocean? Yes it would only be to for show. I also should have said it will more than likely be a coral only tank. I have see this effect on tanks before and none of the fish seemed stressed by the storm n lightning effect. Just wondering if the apex controller will do this on a DIY led build. Again sorry for the typo n getting u confused n ur panties in a bunch. Lol

C

Cowfish

If I read it better I would have answered my own question. On neptunesystems site under apex controllers scroll down to über reef geek, it says we got u covered with an easy to learn programming language. Says u can create cool effects as storms or complex dosing etc etc. thanks should have read it more thoroughly. I should obviously get in the habit of reading my posts before posting to avoid typo confusions.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Lol sorry I didn't mean to come across so negative:) I wanted to do the same thing when I built my DIY.... the closest I got was turning the outlets on and off real fast..it still didn't suit me so I just made the regular day light cycle... I have not looked at updating the apex so it is very wel possible that there is new modules out there for this exact thing :)

C

Cowfish

I thank u for posting ur led builds mrhermit n neopimp. I love the DIY stuff n seeing others ppl's build is very inspiring.