Apex Migration

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So I became a bit concerned that IF my apex was to fail, I would be stuck with an uncontrollable freight train of nonsense with my tank, until I was able to replace/repair my apex. Since my screen had crashed on me a while ago (after a firmware update no less), and the fact that I really could use a third set of outlets (I had been using timer-powerbars for a few things), I thought screw it, let's just buy a whole replacement and use the old base unit as a backup.

So it arrived yesterday, and I am in the midst of the migration.

Using the static IP address of the existing base unit I logged in and made a backup of all settings. I then plugged the new base unit into the network and uploaded the settings to that. So far so good. Add link to new base to https://apexfusion.com/apex It goes "hey!" I need a firmware upgrade(!). Okay so I let it do its thing and we're off to the races.

Here's where things get tricky. I have to physically swap one head unit for the new one. It seems to go without a hitch, and since it's logged into apexfusion I can control it right away. I set the IP to the old one, and boom, it comes online through my phone app. So I think I'm golden.

THEN I'm going to simply add the new EB8. Assuming it will just add itself as "amp5" in the chain. Evidently there is something with the physical connection location of the data link cable, so it sets itself to the first position, bumping everything else. So now every plug is wrong, and it's not as easy as you would think to figure out which plug goes to which outlet etc etc When it looks like this :

apex1.jpg

I didn't notice immediately, but the temp warning went off an hour or so later, because the heaters were now in the skimmer slot, and "on full". So temp shot from 77 to 82. That's mainly why I'm writing this all out, in case anyone else is doing this too (many people add in an extra EB8!).

So currently I am re-running wires and labelling outlets so that I can make some sense of the spaghetti (which totally sucks on a tank that is up-and-running):

wires.jpg

As well, I fiigure since the tank seems to be progressing just fine (I think I'm 8 months or so in now), I figured I could start making progress on the woodwork. Lots of fine detain work to go.

stand1.jpg

Anyway, just a head's up for anyone adding onto their apex :)

Kman

Super Active Member
Before i add a new EB8 i always log into the old way of doing it the IP based browser and delete the module and then add the new one. If this happened you are better off factory resetting the apex and restoring from backup. Instead of messing around with everything.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Worked out, just unplugged things based on type and (more importantly) cord length, and then re-programmed each outlet. This hooks up everything and gives me 4 unused outlets, which is perfect.

The only thing not on the apex now is the return pump, and that's running through a apc smartups 1500 battery backup. I was going to hook the apex though it, but if power is out then the internet is out, so I'd have to rely on the online warning system anyway.