Apex Vs Ghl – My Story

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Apex vs GHL – My Story

I will start off with being blunt. Comparing these 2 is the same as comparing Apple to Android phones or Mac to Windows operating systems. They are both great and have their advantages and disadvantages. At the end of the day, they both do the same job. Personally I prefer my GHL Profilux 4 over my Apex, but I would never steer someone away from Apex.

I used an Apex for about 4-5 years. I honestly did not have any issues setting it up when it comes to programming. It was easy, step by step and things were just made easier with the release of Fusion, a cloud based site designed to access your Apex remotely. The first problem I had with the original purchase was one of the same issues I had with GHL. Why on earth do you both sell a system with a full set of probes and not include a probe holder? Anyways. I owned a few Apex modules to go alongside the main unit. I started with what is now known as the Apex Classic. It had all the bells and whistles. I added on a VDM (variable dimming module) as I needed more than the 4 channels on the head unit. My lights at the time were 1-10v variable and I was using 2 Jebao circulation pumps. I needed a total of 5 ports and the Apex comes with 4. I also added on a set of WAV pumps with the 1link. I also had 2 EB8 power bars to control my entire set up. As for the initial install, the variable speed ports on the head unit were faulty from purchase. Apex was good for repairing it under warranty. I did have to cover shipping to them in the US though. That is standard warranty guidelines despite what people think they deserve. After I received it back about 7 days later, I did not have a single issue with it for as long as I owned it. Out of my EB8’s, I had one outlet on one fail. It would have been a very expensive repair and almost cheaper to just purchase new. Luckily I am good with a soldering iron and troubleshooting. I was able to fix it myself with an end of life DC8 that I had on hand alongside a few hours. The WAV pumps I purchased both had an extremely high pitched intolerable squeal. After several emails, phone call and videos, Apex agreed to replace one. The replacement I got was much quieter. Their customer service has always been great to me. Since then, they have released the Apex (2016). With it came a new OS, built in WiFi and additional features that are needed for some of their future modules such as the Triton which will test the big 3 automatically. Apex has branched out from the initial head unit to circulation pumps, return pumps, testing systems, and dosing modules. One huge advantage is that Apex has a huge North American user base. There is always tons of help online where answers come quickly. Responses on their forums are normally within minutes of posting plus there is a very active Facebook page.

I have had my GHL Profilux 4 for about 6 months now. I have had 0 mechanical issues with it. My only issues were, as noted above, no probe holder. The other was the fact that I was learning a whole new system. It is comparable to knowing English and being dropped off at a French school. Not that it was hard to learn, it was different and hard to shake out the Apex programming. There were some useful set up videos on YouTube and they continue to put out more and more helpful videos. The available step by step start up videos and documents were more then enough to get things up and running with in an hour or so. My vendor, BigSHOW Frags, was extremely helpful as well. For this purchase, I had picked up the Profilux 4 Mega which included the head unit, 1 Power Bar, and all the probes with calibration fluids. I also picked up 2 additional Power Bars and 2 Vortech MP40QD’s. This put me on par with the same set up as I had with the Apex. I do control the Vortechs and my Radions with Ecotech Live and Reeflink. I find that the software is better through there then either of the 2 systems. I love the fact that unlike the Apex, there is a built in display and that all the features are already installed. There are not really any necessary additional modules that are needed. The design also matches their dosing units making for a nice stackable set up. With Apex, you have several modules that the Profilux 4 has build in which means less wall space. You can also install cards into the Profilux 4 instead of adding external patched modules like Apex. The down side to GHL is that unlike Neptune Apex, there is a small user base in North America. They have recently branched out with an English support forum /group. They are also releasing a lot of English help videos. At least I personally find that there are less issues with Profilux 4 then Apex and that need for a large user support group does not need to be there. I have not needed to reach out once for support. I have followed and participated in some discussions about setting up a few features.

At the end of the day, as I mentioned I prefer my Profilux 4. I like the over all build quality. It seems more like a piece of high end industrial computer equipment vs the plastic almost toy feel and look of the Apex. Apex has made leaps and bounds with their Fusion cloud based interface. It is far beyond what is offered by GHL. There is a web based interface for GHL as well. I find it to be sluggish and awkward. However, once your system is set up, I see no reason to have minute to minute access to my tank to adjust lighting etc. I follow a few Apex pages where people are constantly monitoring Fusion...um...that is what having a controller is for; so that you do not have to constantly be watching things. I have not accessed or changed anything in my Profilux 4 since almost the beginning. After lots of online reading, the information that I have found was that the failure rates on GHL seems a lot lower then Apex. I follow several forums and sites closely and see similar trends. I am more comfortable with trusting my reef to my Profilux 4.

I also will include a comparison of the hardware below. Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to offer honest, unbiased information. I received no compensation for either of the 2 systems.

ApexvsGHLchart.jpg

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Time for a lengthy small update. To note, I purchased and installed November 2017, so I have run it for approx 8 months. As noted previously, the only negative that I had previously was the sluggish cloud based interface. To date, I still have had no issues. There is some incorrect information above in the comparison that I learned in the mean time. There is real time power monitoring for the Profilux 4 however only while connected to the P4 via the USB.

Tonight I decided to take some time and play around. I did a firmware update as well as a wifi update as I could not access it from the webpages. The firmware updated went off flawlessly. There is a reminder to save settings/programming and sensor programming before doing the update. The firmware update restores the system typically, SO BE SURE TO DO THE BACKUPS!!! The firmware was only a few clicks and is done much easier then the Apex classic updates. After the simple auto firmware update, it was just a few more clicks to restore the programming.

I also had to update my wifi adapter. That was a little trickier, but only because I was not aware that you can not do it through the GCC control panel (hardwired laptop to the main unit via usb firewire). There is a separate utility that you need to update the WiFi which is included in the installation of the GCC Control Panel folders in your PC. I needed help on how to do this. This is one spot where GHL has now surpassed Apex. They have an amazing YouTube channel with every walk through you could possibly need. The speech is paced well, clear non accent English, and full screen step by step every step of the way.

The final update is an update to the cloud based interface that appears to allow you to do just about everything. It loads 10 times quicker then it used to and all the information is right there as soon as you log in. I am now 100% sold on the combination of my GHL Profilux 4 and Ecotech Reeflink combo. Yes you can add a module to connect your Ecotech products to the GHL, however I personally do not like the single point of dependency.

I am looking forward to one day getting their Kh Director and dosing pumps to add to my GHL collection.