Are filefish reef safe

Shawn White

Hi everyone I have a few aptasia in my tank have peppermint shrimp don’t seen to be to interested in them was thinking of a filefish reading up on them they also seem hit or miss but alto of post say the6 will also nip at corals just wondering if anyone has had them thank

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
In my experience they work well but can develop a taste for zoas. Also they don't eat much more. When the aptasia is gone they won't last. They also can't get the ones in tight spots. Their available/reachable food may perish and so will the fish. All the while the hidden babies will pop up and spread. I personally removed what rock I could and gave it acid baths. I also had success with a laser. It is dangerous and time consuming.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

cica

Try finding berghia nudibranch, they work the best but are expensive at times, all you need is a 3-4
He has peppermint shrimp, wouldn't it eat the nudibranch? Or maybe he can remove the shrimp.

I have a filefish in my 32 g tank. It got rid of the aptasia and now eats pellets and frozen food. There is no other coral there only about 10 RBT anemone and it doesn't bother those.

In my 125 g I have a cupper band butterfly. It got rid of aptasia 8 years ago, when I got it. Now it eats frozen, some pellets and it loves to eat the seaweed with the tangs.

I believe if I removed ether these fish the aptasia would come back. Most likely it is still in the tank, where the fish can't reach it.