ATO for vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamS

I may decide to go on vacation for a week. I need to have some sort of ATO. I have a spare 22g Brute, but thats it. I could go with a float valve but most have to be installed through the side of the sump, which is glass. This is just temporary so i dont want to break the bank, but it needs to be reliable. I guess i am looking for good value. Any suggestions?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
They work, but if fail, 22 gallons of fresh water will poor into tank. Cheapest reliable thing would be...pay a friend to do it for the week.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Torx link said:
They work, but if fail, 22 gallons of fresh water will poor into tank. Cheapest reliable thing would be...pay a friend to do it for the week.

i got a jbj ato for 50$ used... ive seen others similar to that price on kijiji as well. look into that maybe?

AdamS

Torx link said:
Cheapest reliable thing would be...pay a friend to do it for the week.

With my friends...I question the both the reliability and relative cost.

I will look into the JBJ method, as i do not have baffles in my sump.

Thank you

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I just hung my float valve with a clamp on the side of my sump. But it its only hooked to a 1/2 gallon container of ro/di that I fill twice daily.

AdamS

Torx link said:
I just hung my float valve with a clamp on the side of my sump. But it its only hooked to a 1/2 gallon container of ro/di that I fill twice daily.

Actually thats not a bad idea, maybe i will pick up a foat valve at lowes and give it a shot.

Really you fill it twice a day? I currently top up my 75 gal once every day or every other with approx 2gals in one shot.

spyd

Super Active Member
I have a Reef Fanatic ATO that ai only used for a couple weeks while I was running 2 tanks and on vacation. It works just like the JBJ but built a little better IMO. Brand new, it cost me $110. Only used it for 2 weeks and will sell it for $60 if you would like. I also have a used MJ1200 pump to use with it that I can part with for $15. PM me if you are interested.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
spyd link said:
I have a Reef Fanatic ATO that ai only used for a couple weeks while I was running 2 tanks and on vacation. It works just like the JBJ but built a little better IMO. Brand new, it cost me $110. Only used it for 2 weeks and will sell it for $60 if you would like. I also have a used MJ1200 pump to use with it that I can part with for $15. PM me if you are interested.

this isnt a bad deal atal..

if he doesnt take it i might be interested in it.

AdamS

Here is the solution, 1/2" threaded bulkhead with 1/2" MIP to 1/4" tube. The key was realizing that a 1/2" MIP to 1/4" tube fitting is available. Just leak testing.  Thanks for the help all.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Umm, what are you planning on doing with that set up? Just opening the valve a little and hoping that the right amount of water is coming out? Could be quite risky. Even more so then the other options, maybe this and a float valve?

AdamS

Whats a float valve?

Haha, yes i have a float valve clamped into the sump. Im just leak testing it, and i put the shut off in for convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.