Auto top off

Davesfragtank

Me again lol looking for advice on auto top off was going to get apex one but most the reviews seem bad what you guys recommend

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I use an apex head unit, but I set up a breakout box for it, and just run a tiny pump and 3 $5 floats from ebay. Basically one float is in a bucket (I bent some clear plexi to the right height in a bucket which warns me when it's empty), and 2 floats in the sump...one for low water, and one for high water. Now it was a bit more to set up than a plug n play model, but it's also ~12 years old and has run perfectly to this day.

Oh and I also use a bucket as a reservoir, so if the pump ever gets stuck "on", it doesn't flush/flood the tank. It's a bit more work, but I've never had a mishap (and I've seen what an automatic ato hooked to a water line can do)

APEX:
Low ATO warning. It reads the float in the bucket, but only after 7pm so that it isn't going off all day if the water is low.

-----------------
Set OFF
If Sw6 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw6 OPEN Then OFF
If Time 07:00 to 19:00 Then OFF
-----------------

The part that reads the high water in the sump, and the low water in the bucket: (Output Limit_ATO)

-----------------
Set OFF
If Sw6 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw4 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 002:00 Then OFF
-----------------

Finally the programming for the low water float, only works from midnight to 10am, so that it doesn't read a low water trigger if I'm doing a water change or something:

-----------------
Fallback OFF
If Sw5 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw5 CLOSED Then ON
If Time 10:00 to 23:59 Then OFF
If Output Limit_ATO = ON Then OFF
----------------

Now it does require the apex breakout box, but honestly that thing is so useful that I like it more than most of the probes that apex sells, it sort of sets you up to have independent monitoring of temp, water, flood, etc etc. I don't think it cost a fortune either.

hopefully that makes sense. For me it was an easy way to set something up that I could fix/upgrade easily, but it's worked perfectly for over a decade.

elorablue

I use the Tunze osmolator nano version. It works and has a 40 second shut off so it won’t flood the tank if something weird happens.

Davesfragtank

Just want something good quality but simple to use Lol have the Neptune system to hook up that’s why likes idea of apex to try keep it all same will prob test it out lol

wtac

Personally HATE Neptune's ATO system. Optical switches glitch out too frequently and a PITA to get new ones when I was in the business.

They may be bulky and ugly AF but dual float AutoTopOff ATOs have been rock solid for for almost 20years on client systems. If you are DIY savvy, you can make your own with a relay, float switches and housing for about $50 tops less the feed pump.

Plug it into the EB and if you have a BoB, rig another float switch about the same level as the dual float as redudnancy to shut off power to the ATO ATO. To add another layer of redunancy, ATO water goes through a float valve just above running water level of the sump.

JM2C/E/HTH

Painter Steve

Donor
I ran the ATK for about 2 years and wasn't to impressed. Always had alarms going off and needed to replace both optical censers after the 1st year.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I use one of my Ecotech Versa heads for an ATO. I just calculated/monitored how much water I use daily and set that to constant dose throughout the day. Works great on my nano and water level is always perfect.