Auto water top off

Status
Not open for further replies.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Getting tired of having to try and keep water level at certain height so that my tunze 9002 functions properly. If waters to low it pulls nothing, and too high it just pulls pure water. Skimmer works awesome when kept at water line.

Investigating auto top offs. Looking for info what people are using now and how they like them.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I have a top off jug that feeds the sump through a float valve.  Just gravity fed.  Simple and works.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Yea. Gravity won't be working in my favour for this one. Will be drawing it from a 5 gallon pail beside tank. I think a water lifter is what I need, but have no idea.

J

jones02

Me annd jonesey156 just made one the other day. Real cheap! Ordered everything on ebay.

spyd

Super Active Member
My suggestion is not to cheap out on an ATO. The last thing you want is for the ATO to fail in the open position and end up having all your water entering the tank in one shot. It happens quite a bit. Saying that, using a 5G container like you are is an excellent decision because 5G is not going to do excessive damage to your tank.

I like the Tunze ATO. Is uses a sensor to dictate water level and if it fails for whatever reason, there is a float switch as a back-up. I use the Elos Osmolator. It works great. The unit uses a heat sensor to control the water level. This means no matter how dirty it gets, it will work. Another nice feature is it slowly adds the ATO water to your tank by running every 15 minutes to top up. I love it as it keeps my water level bang on all the time, which my skimmer needs to function properly. It also uses a PLC that shuts down the pump if the water flow is restricted (kinked hose) or if the resevoir is empty to avoid damage to the pump. On the down side, there is no fail safe like the Tunze unit in case it fails open.

Both units run at around $200 and come with the pump and holders. Not cheap, but, you get your monies worth with more piece of mind. One unit to avoid is the JBJ ATO!!! Had one, failed open, and flooded my tank. Luckily, I was just randomly looking in my sump and noticed my sump nearly overflowing. No casualties but it could have been bad, real bad!!! That's why I went down to a 5G resevoir from a 25G resevoir. They are built cheap and cannot handle the corrosive salt.

J

jones02

i made mine for about $20 and if you put it on a timer theres nothing to worry about. i was going to post a DIY but it wouldnt let me post the pics for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.