Back To The Drawing Board

nexusnight

designing a new tank!!!! for sure want to be able to set it up as a peninsula style and am planning to be able to house the entire setup in within the stand.

For sure rimless and def going bean animal this time. looking for ideas or improvemnts you would like to see in this style of tank.
Im thinking the dimesions will be 60"L 24"w and 22-24"T havend decided on this yet what do you think?
pretty sure im doing an external overflow.
possibly a bare bottom tank with white acrylic sheet under the glass panel not sure on this yet either.....
lots of decisions please help.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Awesome dimensions. I would not go more then 24" or whichever to make sure your arm can still reach the bottom. ;)
External overflow is a must. I love my 1" internal overflow with an external box. With that end painted black, the internal overflow is hardly noticeable. Gaining the real estate in the tank is nice, plus no shadow. But if you are getting a custom tank, get the overflow cut right into the glass. Now get building.

nexusnight

getting to the bottom is a must and at 22" like my current tank i can get there just comfortably. 22" t it will be. I am having the glass cut for an external overflow and the glass should be ordered this week.
i am not sure if i should keep my snapper pump or go with an internal pump. i do want keep the entire system within itself and not sure the snapper will work out.

jroovers

Super Active Member
I like the peninsula tank idea!

24" isn't very wide though, if I were going to go that route, I'd try and go to 30" wide, will make a huge difference for scaping and coral placement.

nexusnight

my current tank is drilled in the bottom. 30" wide sounds nice but i will have to see about extra cost there. i was considering the 24 because someday if i cant use it as a peninsula tank id be able to put it against a wall. dunno yet havent orderd glass yet as i still need to confirm size, so now is my chance!!!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
24" is nice, 30" would be nice too. I am pretty happy with the space on either side of my rock work in my 24" wide. Here is an end shot. There is some rock that looks close the the glass, but that is just perspective, there is lots of room for a magfloat and such to get past.

20140713_142345_zpsd119fbca.jpg

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
yup,30"does sound nice,but your tank would make a fantastic peninsula tank,id plug the bottoms holes,remove the overflows and have gary drill one end for you,would be some work but less then building a new one

nexusnight

i thought about that pulp but as of now actually i have sold the tank and stand. its going to a good home. this allows me to build the new tank in place, get it setup and switch things over. itll be far easier as i want to keep most of my livestock.

nexusnight

need a vote..... internal or external pump. if you were to choose internal, what pump would you choose? The key is... there is only to be one pump running the return and reactors. Tank is roughly 135 gallons

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Jebao DC12000 always has my vote. I have a 1" full syphon, pushes water across 20' then up about 8' and only at 20% power. Hoping to tie in my reactors in a week or so.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
24" is good, but 30" wide would be a lot better, especially once your corals start to grow out. You may get away with it for a bit but once things fill out they are going to be close to the sides, and quickly. Just my experience though, my scaping is pretty minimal in my 120 that is 24" wide, and already I want wider.

Heat should be a factor in your pump choice - with internal, you help heat the water a bit, depending on where your tank is, may be either a good or a bad thing. Also, with internal your footprint can be a bit smaller potentially. Also, with internal your plumbing doesn't have to be 100% tight. For rank amateurs like me, that is a good thing!

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
im inclined to agree with mark,the Jebao DC12000 is probably you best bang for the buck,
i would of figured you would want to go with everything internal with a peninsula setup personally

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
adam you've seen my old 150g peninsula right? just have a side covered in a 'wall' to hide all plumbing and even have extra sump space etc

deeznutz

Ahhhh a peninsula tank. Good choice, although not for everyone. They can be tough as they do take up quite a bit of room compared to the
normal against the wall style tanks. But with that comes two folds as you get two large view areas. Great success!

As for the width of the tank, 24 is a a decent size. 30 is better and will give you the extra sand bed to make it look not as crowded. I think 36 is best and this is coming from some who's had a 48x30x24 peninsula. 36 is for dreamers though :)

I'm liking your dimensions but I thing the perfect peninsula for you is 60x30x20. You'll appreciate the lower tank and less reaching, especially if you have to reach across the tank.

Here's a pic of my old tank. It was a pretty impressive centre piece.

This is when she was getting crowded
2182a757.jpg

After thinning it out a bit
1b9fc0fc.jpg

from another prospective
file-4.jpg

nexusnight

I like thoes demensions. 60*30*20. I'm ordering glass today!! :) can't wait to get this started. Going to use my ati light and other equipment. Pretty sure I'm going to go with jebao dc12000 pump also. This tank will be great in my new place as the kitchen, dining room has plenty of room. It'll be nice to have this setup as a room divider to split up the space a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
Are you building the tank yourself, or are you getting it custom made... your last tank was made by Sealife right?