Basement Bar Build.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Triangles are key. Tr wood is plenty strong. Shit I think a 2x4 on end will support a small car in theory(don't hold me to that). Your challenge will be keeping it square and rigid. The squareness of it will come from your wood cutting abilities. The rigidity will come from the triangular bracing you use.

Get google sketchup and draw up the stand. Post a pic and we will gladly tear it to pieces with criticism lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Building a stand is easy. Making it pretty can be more i a challenge lol

MrHermit85

I just built a stand for my breeder, I realized too late that the 2x4s I used were not simetrical lol. So my cuts were straight but not much else was!

Easto

I have very limited wood working experience. I built a couple fences and a deck. However I tend to be OCD when it comes to certain things so I think if I do build something it will be good.

The frame I am not too worried about. I have a mitre saw and circular saw which should allow me to make the cuts I need.

What worries me is the sheeting, trim, and doors.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Man, what a beauty bar! Can't believe all you used was a circular saw!

What type of wood and stain did you use for the dark wood part of the back bar that surrounds the TV and the shelves? I'm trying to get a similar colour look for the trim of my tank and stand but I'm going to go for more of a distressed look. I really like the wood on the ceiling with the pot lighting, and the brick backsplash, both very nice accents. Looks professionally done :)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Everything is Oak or Oak veneered plywood.

The staining is done using the minwax wood prep stuff, minwax ebony stain, and wipe on polyurethane 3 or 4 coats depending.

If goging for distressed.. maybe some aged barn board planks. That's rustic :)

Man, what a beauty bar! Can't believe all you used was a circular saw!

What type of wood and stain did you use for the dark wood part of the back bar that surrounds the TV and the shelves? I'm trying to get a similar colour look for the trim of my tank and stand but I'm going to go for more of a distressed look. I really like the wood on the ceiling with the pot lighting, and the brick backsplash, both very nice accents. Looks professionally done :)

jroovers

Super Active Member
Everything is Oak or Oak veneered plywood.

The staining is done using the minwax wood prep stuff, minwax ebony stain, and wipe on polyurethane 3 or 4 coats depending.

If goging for distressed.. maybe some aged barn board planks. That's rustic :)

That is pretty much what I have, except I have the minwax "expresso". I'm using pine. I looked into barn boards and people charge an arm and a leg for that stuff - I'm using new pine and artificially making it look distressed :)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
It's crazy how differently the same stain looks on a different kind if wood lol

jroovers

Super Active Member
It's crazy how differently the same stain looks on a different kind if wood lol

Yes, I'm finding that out! The pre-stain stuff makes a huge difference too. I'm going to try pre-treating my new pine with a combo of steel wool/vinegar solution to artificially try and make it more dull before distressing it, I'm interested to see how that works.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
my wife loves the bar. I have a hidden table rigged up so she has a sewing area. that folds away.

its right in our rec room and houses the computer system so it gets lots of use and isn't out of the way in the house.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
you could just go find a barn out in the country and start pulling boards off :)
That is pretty much what I have, except I have the minwax "expresso". I'm using pine. I looked into barn boards and people charge an arm and a leg for that stuff - I'm using new pine and artificially making it look distressed :)