Basement Reno And In-wall 205g Reef

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Apparently XM has gone out of business, and it was time for a new set of bulbs... so instead of getting XM 20Ks I got Radiums. I am over driving them with the magnetic ballasts, so their life will be greatly reduced, but I really didn't want to drop 600 on a set of electronic ballasts without knowing more about what the future holds for halide lamps. XM closing doors really makes me nervous that the other bulb manufacturers might follow suit, in which case I would need to find an alternative light source (would likely go with 10 bulb T5).

Anyways, enough talk... here's some more pictures!

5289474bcd969f74f3ad27a1745fa224.jpg

f34761e35a9d63a84b67f824c35e9ea8.jpg

And on another note I've been doing a lot of work on the basement this winter, hopefully will start drywalling the family room area this weekend. Have a shipment of insulation coming tomorrow to fill these walls with:
3097283955f1e9dd77537e506a8906a8.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Interesting you bring that up Phil.
We've been having issues locating MH bulbs as well for our clients. We still have a couple using MH and it certainly is becoming harder to find.
Had no clue XM closed their doors. But I'm sure regardless of what happenes there will always be at least one or two manufacturers of MH. Radium or Hamilton lighting

Sony Xperia Z3

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Just putting some feelers out there.... would anybody maybe be interested in buying my whole setup?

Major life changes are afoot, and I no longer know if it will be feasible for me to keep this tank up and running long term.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
It started out as this almost exactly two years ago:
14021883085_45c97440c2_b.jpg

So yeah it's a pretty good grower:
785fb057974506137682b6ec65271ec7.jpg

I give credit to metal halides - the easy button of the reef keeping world!

Last edited:

curiousphil

Super Active Member
holy crap, that piece is beautiful, are you planning on fragging it...
It was growing into other corals, so I made a couple of frags last week :). I won't be breaking up the colony but if anyone wants a frag I would be happy to make one for them - I certainly wouldn't miss a branch or two.

Where do you have it...mine is mid light and mid flow
It started out in a mid-light area but has grown into a higher light area. It probably gets over 350 PAR, I will try and remember to check. As for flow, pretty much everywhere in my tank is high flow. This coral is in higher flow than most, because it is at the edge of the tank where the current is strongest.

Red Dragon is definitely my favourite coral. I drooled over it before I got into the hobby, so it pleases me to no end that I have had such success growing it! :D

heath

Distinguished Member
It was growing into other corals, so I made a couple of frags last week :). I won't be breaking up the colony but if anyone wants a frag I would be happy to make one for them - I certainly wouldn't miss a branch or two

I would love a piece of it.. thank you, let me know when its ready...:)