Benefits of pruning sps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Just a discussion.  I have noticed that cutting or pruning an sps colony seems to lead to more branching, and better colour on the new growth.  Anyone prune just for this reason alone?  Seems one cut 'branch' can sprout 4 or 5 new tips, while a large cut can trigger new growth down by the base, much like plants.  Is there any thoughts or article on proper 'pruning' ??

spyd

Super Active Member
Darryl would be a good person to provide some information about this one. I do know that if a tip has rounded off and you cut it, then it will grow multiple branches. Like plants, if you over cut them the shape of them become less and less to be desired though. It is much more beneficial to let the frag or small colony grow to a substantial size before chopping frags off of it. Pruning is different. By simply trimming back rounded edges, you are still maintaining the overall shape of the coral and achieving more growth by allowing it to branch out more.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
spyd link said:
Darryl would be a good person to provide some information about this one. I do know that if a tip has rounded off and you cut it, then it will grow multiple branches. Like plants, if you over cut them the shape of them become less and less to be desired though. It is much more beneficial to let the frag or small colony grow to a substantial size before chopping frags off of it. Pruning is different. By simply trimming back rounded edges, you are still maintaining the overall shape of the coral and achieving more growth by allowing it to branch out more.

I never thought of just nipping the very tips.  I have a few corals where there are tips but the new growth is on other parts. I have a convexa that simply will not sprout on the main 'stalk'. 

R

reeffreak

I asked this question to Darryl a few months back and received no response about it but I have always wondered if it was like gardening trim the plants branch then out comes 2 new branches

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
reeffreak link said:
I asked this question to Darryl a few months back and received no response about it but I have always wondered if it was like gardening trim the plants branch then out comes 2 new branches

I have three tips where I cut the frag for you.  The other colony has one new tip.  this is where the questions are coming from. :)

R

reeffreak

I was into gardening this past spring and summer with some tropical hibiscus and a few others and I always wondered if cutting coral like a plant was the same deal.

I know in plants it brings on faster growth and forms multiple new branches and I've found the 2 hobbies are very similar having to add supplements , watching things grow from small fragments and watching colors and applying whichever methods are necessary to regain the right balance, reefing is definitely more $$$$ that's for sure but bet similar between them.

I've cut 2 pieces if the frag I traded you and they have grown over the cuts with new polyps and stating to branch back out

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
reeffreak link said:
Sorry....I dont recall you asking me this.

It definitely can entice the coral to sprout new and possible more growth tips.  Trimming the stagnant growth tips of an acro is a very good idea.

It can help to speed up growth temporarily on the cut branch but its not a sure thing....also if you are taking growth away with the frag you are left with a smaller colony in which it will take time to regrow....so it is a net negative for you in the end if your only concern is the size of the colony.  IF fragging increased the growth long term we would be fragging to get our colonies bigger but it doesn't work exactly like that.

Also remember as a coral gets bigger it will most likely grow faster.  Which is a good reason not to frag your colonies until they are a good size.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=reeffreak link=topic=3449.msg29216#msg29216 date=1351885775]
Sorry....I dont recall you asking me this.

It definitely can entice the coral to sprout new and possible more growth tips.  Trimming the stagnant growth tips of an acro is a very good idea.

It can help to speed up growth temporarily on the cut branch but its not a sure thing....also if you are taking growth away with the frag you are left with a smaller colony in which it will take time to regrow....so it is a net negative for you in the end if your only concern is the size of the colony.  IF fragging increased the growth long term we would be fragging to get our colonies bigger but it doesn't work exactly like that.

Also remember as a coral gets bigger it will most likely grow faster.  Which is a good reason not to frag your colonies until they are a good size.
[/quote]

Absolutely a big healthy colony would seem to grow bigger, on an exponential scale.  :)

What about nipping the tips (or biting the nipples as I shall herefornowto call it) off the stagnant tips?

N

nacho

Very interesting subject. I have horticulture background and I've always wondered. Certain plants definitely branch out more profusely from pruning for cuttings. I'm assuming removing pieces of a coral works the same way. Less energy spent on one area. Kinda like removing flowers, fruiting bodies, or vegetative growth from plants to divert energy. Neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.