BERGHIA Nudibrunch (Aptasia Eater) Group Buy Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Figured mid as well start a thread instead of filling Dwaynes build thread :) I would be in for 1 or 2.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
unibob link said:
Figured mid as well start a thread instead of filling Dwaynes build thread :) I would be in for 1 or 2.
1 or 2 is not enough.  You need enough so that they can reproduce.  ITs not the initial berghia you add that gets rid of the aiptasia is the 2nd, and 3rd generation that really do it.  The reason you may read some people have poor success is they tried the low stocking and they berghia died before they reproduced....they to have a significant food source and they have to be able to find each other to reproduce.  I think one for ever 15gallons is the very minimum and a bit more is better.  Also dont bother if you have just one or two aiptasia...that is not enough to get the berghia populations growing.

unibob link said:
  Here is a link to the guy I ordered from last time.  Its $150 for 20 shipped.  Or $275 for 40 shipped.  He shipped to me here in Canada for that price.  It was his first time shipping to Canada but it worked out fine.  Berghai are not covered under cites.  http://www.newlifeaquatics.com/berghia.html  Read the faq at the bottom too.

reeffreak link said:
That's a shame to buy them knowing they are going to die, especially at that price
They are tiny creatures that readily reproduce, are captive grown, and are not endangered......I feel about as bad for dying as I would an insect.

paoul link said:
matted filefish is a better option imho at least after the aptasia is gone they will eat pretty much anything
Yes....including the posibility of them eating any polyps/zoa you might have.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=unibob link=topic=4952.msg46580#msg46580 date=1364594241]
Figured mid as well start a thread instead of filling Dwaynes build thread :)  I would be in for 1 or 2.
1 or 2 is not enough.  You need enough so that they can reproduce.  ITs not the initial berghia you add that gets rid of the aiptasia is the 2nd, and 3rd generation that really do it.  The reason you may read some people have poor success is they tried the low stocking and they berghia died before they reproduced....they to have a significant food source and they have to be able to find each other to reproduce.  I think one for ever 15gallons is the very minimum and a bit more is better.  Also dont bother if you have just one or two aiptasia...that is not enough to get the berghia populations growing.

unibob link said:
  Here is a link to the guy I ordered from last time.  Its $150 for 20 shipped.  Or $275 for 40 shipped.  He shipped to me here in Canada for that price.  It was his first time shipping to Canada but it worked out fine.  Berghai are not covered under cites.  http://www.newlifeaquatics.com/berghia.html  Read the faq at the bottom too.

reeffreak link said:
That's a shame to buy them knowing they are going to die, especially at that price
They are tiny creatures that readily reproduce, are captive grown, and are not endangered......I feel about as bad for dying as I would an insect.

paoul link said:
matted filefish is a better option imho at least after the aptasia is gone they will eat pretty much anything
Yes....including the posibility of them eating any polyps/zoa you might have.
[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this Darryl.

paoul

yes they may eat corals but when I bought them it was a risk worth taking as I was being over run with aptasia and now it has been over a year with no aptasia and not once have the pair of filefish touched a coral

sunnykita

Super Active Member
when I googled them yesterday, the website I came across had a calculator gal/nudibrunch needed. I plugged in 100 gal and it came up with the number 8. Maybe next time around. I worry about them dying off - or as someone else suggested food for my wrasse(s) LOL spensive treats !

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Darrylv I really only meant for the price you pay to end in death is a shame, but i didnt know all of the information you just posted about them. I have never needed to look into these guys so im not very educated in the topic .

my wrasse would probably end their trip before they died of starvation anyways lol

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
sunnykita link said:
when I googled them yesterday, the website I came across had a calculator gal/nudibrunch needed. I plugged in 100 gal and it came up with the number 8. Maybe next time around. I worry about them dying off - or as someone else suggested food for my wrasse(s) LOL spensive treats !
I have a harlequin tusk wrasse and fire hawk fish....both invert killers and the berghia somehow dont get eat'n.  In the faq on the link I posted he mentions that there are no known fish that will do significant damage to the berghia populations that he knows of.

This is what is wrote in the faq...

2)Will my wrasses, shrimp or other aggressive animals eat my berghia??

I've been culturing berghia for several years now and sent them out to dozens of customers. I’ve never come across a reef safe invert or fish that will significantly affect berghia populations. There are many people that say certain wrasses or shrimp will eat them, but I disagree. I've sent berghia to people who have all kinds of animals that were rumored to be \"not safe with berghia\" and I've never heard back from anyone who has any evidence to show the berghia were being preyed upon. I have berghia in my own tank which includes a melanarus wrasse, six line wrasse, mystery wrasse, yellow coris wrasse,  a purple reef lobster, and a coral banded shrimp. I've never seen them pick at the berghia even when the berghia are out in the open and obvious to the fish and shrimp. The berghia are entirely ignored by the fish and inverts in my tank

paoul link said:
yes they may eat corals but when I bought them it was a risk worth taking as I was being over run with aptasia and now it has been over a year with no aptasia and not once have the pair of filefish touched a coral
What ever works...you gotta make the judgement call.  A file fish may go after some corals and I have also heard of them not going after aiptasia although I think they usually do.  But berghia can be expensive as you have to add enough that they multiply and you have to have a significant number of aiptasia to get the populations growing.....and the berghia do die off so you are left with nothing at the end but an aiptasia free tank.

reeffreak link said:
Darrylv I really only meant for the price you pay to end in death is a shame, but i didnt know all of the information you just posted about them. I have never needed to look into these guys so im not very educated in the topic .

my wrasse would probably end their trip before they died of starvation anyways lol
No problem.......I dont judge.  If someone wants to worry themselves over the berghia's fate that is their free choice but not mine.    Yes the money is a shame too but dont expect to ever see these guys after adding them to the system anyway....they are nocturnal and hide very well.

Also as I posted earlier.....wrasse dont seem to bother them too much.  I think maybe they just know better than to go after nudi's as some of them are poisonous.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Ya I figured my two Hoevens wrasse would be peaceful but I missed feeding the tank one day and BAM every single dwarf cerith snail I have .. Gone lol

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=sunnykita link=topic=4952.msg46637#msg46637 date=1364651378]
I have a harlequin tusk wrasse and fire hawk fish....both invert killers and the berghia somehow dont get eat'n.  In the faq on the link I posted he mentions that there are no known fish that will do significant damage to the berghia populations that he knows of.

This is what is wrote in the faq...

2)Will my wrasses, shrimp or other aggressive animals eat my berghia??

I've been culturing berghia for several years now and sent them out to dozens of customers. I’ve never come across a reef safe invert or fish that will significantly affect berghia populations. There are many people that say certain wrasses or shrimp will eat them, but I disagree. I've sent berghia to people who have all kinds of animals that were rumored to be \"not safe with berghia\" and I've never heard back from anyone who has any evidence to show the berghia were being preyed upon. I have berghia in my own tank which includes a melanarus wrasse, six line wrasse, mystery wrasse, yellow coris wrasse,  a purple reef lobster, and a coral banded shrimp. I've never seen them pick at the berghia even when the berghia are out in the open and obvious to the fish and shrimp. The berghia are entirely ignored by the fish and inverts in my tank

paoul link said:
What ever works...you gotta make the judgement call.  A file fish may go after some corals and I have also heard of them not going after aiptasia although I think they usually do.  But berghia can be expensive as you have to add enough that they multiply and you have to have a significant number of aiptasia to get the populations growing.....and the berghia do die off so you are left with nothing at the end but an aiptasia free tank.

reeffreak link said:

No problem.......I dont judge.  If someone wants to worry themselves over the berghia's fate that is their free choice but not mine.    Yes the money is a shame too but dont expect to ever see these guys after adding them to the system anyway....they are nocturnal and hide very well.

Also as I posted earlier.....wrasse dont seem to bother them too much.  I think maybe they just know better than to go after nudi's as some of them are poisonous.
[/quote]

Thanks Darryl, I'll check out these links tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.