Bio Pellets

Seasquirt

Tell me why do we use them, I've read on here that as people set up their new tanks that one of the basic components of the start up is bio pellets.
I don't know anything about them and would like to know, thank you

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
They work amazing at reducing nitrates. There are several ways to reduce nitrates but biopellets makes it easy by just letting them do their thing in a reactor vs a algae scrubber or full refugium. Just be sure to have a good skimmer and follow the instructions. As you start you want to run about 1/4 the recommended amount and that it takes 6-8 weeks typically to see results.

Biopellet Instructions - Bulk Reef Supply

Jason Bell

They work amazing at reducing nitrates. There are several ways to reduce nitrates but biopellets makes it easy by just letting them do their thing in a reactor vs a algae scrubber or full refugium. Just be sure to have a good skimmer and follow the instructions. As you start you want to run about 1/4 the recommended amount and that it takes 6-8 weeks typically to see results.

Biopellet Instructions - Bulk Reef Supply

On the new system I went with a reef octopus unit that I am enjoying vs the closed in type. I started with 250ml then a week later another 250ml and now am running about 1l. I will most likely add the balance of the container this week some time and that should do it. I did run mine same chamber in the sump as the skimmer, this time however it is run in the first chamber with the skimmer in the second. As Torx said need to be skimming well, from personal experience, if the bio pellet pump dies, change that right away, that stuff stinks after 2 days, ie whole house for 2 days stink.

Copperkills

I’ve been running pellets now for almost a year. I will attest they do a great job at removing nitrates (too good) but not phosphates. Tuning the pellets has been a little difficult for me as I never want to run with zero nitrates. I am starting to wean my tank off the pellets to see where my tank will settle in without them.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
It's a form of carbon dosing like sugar, vodka and vinegar. If your running an algae scrubber then you prolly won't need to carbon dose. My tank has been running for a year and I'm just starting to see nitrates, soon I will set up my sulphur denitrator to maintain my nitrates at about 5 ppm.

Seasquirt

I don't have nitrates at all, my bioload is pretty small with the fish i have and my feeding is frozen mysis in the morning followed by brine in the evening.
Now if they would control phosphate .30 or control the Algae then I'd give it a try.

My Algae isn't that bad, if i had more cuc or another Tang or two then they'd look after it.

It's just that i have a bag of them and i have a reactor and pump that i could use. Nope i don't think I'll bother at this time, my skimmer isn't really big enough as well, it's a Swc 150 sss, i find that i don't have to use it 24/7 because they ATS is amazing, infact i just run it at night, that helps my ph.

I knew it was a carbon source but what does that mean Lol.
I thought perhaps i have to interduce carbon because my ATS and my skimmer are removing or stripping nutrients and the carbon would balance it out. Why i thought that I'm not sure but like i said I'm happy with the progress so far except the phosphate issue.
I'm just taking things slowly, i have a few frags and they are all doing well.
I found a good location for a 3 headed hammer that i bought, it gets some flow but not crazy and light is doing a great job since i upgraded them a bit.
I bought 2 AI Sol Blue from Camps23 and have them a bit higher than the dsuny with a low intensity, those Corals just love those blues.
The whole tank is just a bit brighter but not crazy light. Thanks for explaining the biopellet usage. Enjoy your Easter