Bio pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Are biopellets necessary for a softie/lps tank? I know they like dirtier water. Should I take them offline and let my skimmer do the work? I've noticed a decline in growth since they've been running. About 3 months now.

spyd

Super Active Member
I would take them offline. They are definitely not needed for your type of tank. I would still run GFO to help keep the phosphates in check but wouldn't worry too much about nitrates. The skimmer and rock will control that.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
the lps and softies i have need to be hand fed, or there is 0 growth.  No decline, but no growth whatsoever.  Don't know if that's a byproduct of the pellets or not. 

spyd

Super Active Member
I have to target feed my LPS as well while running bio-pellets or they are unhappy. I am getting good growth out of my acans and chalices. Zoas seem to be happy as well which is a big improvement for me! My brain corals are doing well but not really growing much at all.

R

reeffreak

I wouldn't take them all offline all at once, could be to much of a change all at once and shock the system

Thmh

Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
I wouldn't take them all offline all at once, could be to much of a change all at once and shock the system

+1 you should follow this advice or run the risk of system crash.

C

copperkills

Well,  my system has honestly been neglected for the past 6 months and my sump has become somewhat of a nitrate factory.  I cleaned her all out,  threw in some BioClean, PhosBan, carbon and brought 250ml of Ecobak online.  Keeping my fingers crossed!!  My spa have all browned out,  the only ones maintaining growth and color are my montis....my lps and nems have been uneffected.  Ill be interested to see how quick my np levels drop.

R

reeffreak

Copper keep updates, I'm thinking off adding the ecobak to my frag tank, I have 500 ml left I used half on my 75

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Have thought about adding some pellets to 40 gallon tank, can you run them on and off or is it something that needs to be tumbling all the time.

R

reeffreak

Pellets need to tumble constantly or they will destroy your system. They will turn black an reek if they don't tumble

J

jones02

I started getting some hair algae the pass week, and I was going to soak my pellets annd put some online tomorow, is this a bad idea when I'm having this bloom? I have had 0 phos for the pass whille nut nitrates are really high. Should I do a few water changes and wait for adding pellets or is it fine to just add them now?

Status
Not open for further replies.