Biocube 32

Canadianeh

Hello there

I am new here. I have some experience on fresh water tank, but not an expert by any means.

I am looking to start a salt water tank, and the theme will be community reef tank. My wish list is a couple of clownfish, some other fishes (please recommend some that can get a long with clownfish), some corals (maybe soft ones as I read that they are hardy), and some clean up crew and shrimps.

The tank that I am looking to get is Bio cube 32 with LED. What do you experts say about this tank? Do you have better recommendation? Anyone that is actually using this tank?

Nick James

Darn it, your biocube is bigger than my biocube...

I have a pair of brchiosaurus Blennies in mine. You would do well with a blenny, goby, Pygmy wrasse (tanaka, Pink streaked, wetmorella). Watch tho as the Clownfish could bully any new additions after them in a small tank. Juvenile clowns would be less likely to be a problem. Good luck!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure the nano crew will chime in, as I was saying, this is a great forum, we keep the businesses in line so they're not just trying to sell you stuff non stop. you'll get good quality info here if you hang around. There are some extremely successful reefers on here, and a few not-so-successful. You'll learn lots from each group ;)

(not as much fun as guns though...at least from my perspective)

Friendly

I'm also curious about the new LED Biocube. from all the reading, on the little bit of info out there (so new, not many have in hand yet) the only complaint I've read about is the cooling fan for the included LED lighting is a bit noisy. fortunately, from the sounds of it, this is something that a lil DIY can fix with a quieter fan.

Canadianeh

hey Nick, it may be too soon to know, but are you aware of any options to retrofit the lighting on these new LED Biocubes?

having to change the hood out entirely would make me want to consider the other options like the IM 20 or 30L.
Would like to know this as well.

What is the appropriate PAR for marine life then?

Nick James

Would like to know this as well.

What is the appropriate PAR for marine life then?

Depends what marine life you want to keep. For fish, it doesn't matter and many prefer dimmer lighting. For corals and clams some want intense lighting, some can live in the dark.

SPS corals do best in the 200-300 par range as a general rule.

I was presumptuous and automatically thought of sps requirements when I looked at the biocube 32, but it is not necessary for many lps and non photosynthetic coral.

Nick James

hey Nick, it may be too soon to know, but are you aware of any options to retrofit the lighting on these new LED Biocubes?

having to change the hood out entirely would make me want to consider the other options like the IM 20 or 30L.

I am not sure if they have an off the shelf option out there yet however it can be done. Nanobox and Steve's LEDs are two that I looked at.

I got my lights used from another member and saved a few bucks. And I will be selling this set up by the end of this year if all goes according to plan so watch the various used sales out there for options.

Friendly

Who has the best price for frameless type of tank such as Innovative Marine and etc.?
AMAZON!!! but keep in mind, if we don't pay a bit extra the fish stores we rely on will disappear because they can't afford to stay open.

I'm not saying we should let ourselves get ripped off, but paying a small premium is worth the service we get. something the likes of Amazon and Ebay cannot provide.

Canadianeh

AMAZON!!! but keep in mind, if we don't pay a bit extra the fish stores we rely on will disappear because they can't afford to stay open.

I'm not saying we should let ourselves get ripped off, but paying a small premium is worth the service we get. something the likes of Amazon and Ebay cannot provide.

Hey Mr.Friendly, have you decided which tank you will get? Can we buddy up and do the project on new tank and keep each other up to date? :)

I will buy the live contents from small local stores most likely. If I can save on tanks and stand and other equipment, I will explore the other options

Friendly

hey eh, I'm going to go with an AIO for sure...just debating on the Evo 12 or the IM 20 or the IM 30L or possibly the new LED Biocube 16 or 32. larger is better, but as I mentioned in my welcome thread, I live in a pico suite and space is at a premium, so I haven't decided 100% yet.

I do like that the IM 20 and 30L have the dual return flows...with matching power heads it would make proper flow easier to create/manage and save a bit in not having to add something like the MP10.

what I do know is that because my place is so small, I need my aquarium to be as quiet as realistically possible. :)

Canadianeh

hey eh, I'm going to go with an AIO for sure...just debating on the Evo 12 or the IM 20 or the IM 30L or possibly the new LED Biocube 16 or 32. larger is better, but as I mentioned in my welcome thread, I live in a pico suite and space is at a premium, so I haven't decided 100% yet.

I do like that the IM 20 and 30L have the dual return flows...with matching power heads it would make proper flow easier to create/manage and save a bit in not having to add something like the MP10.

what I do know is that because my place is so small, I need my aquarium to be as quiet as realistically possible. :)

I don't think IM tanks are AIO though. The below is IM Nuvo 25 and it is not AIO. I think it only comes with a pump.
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Innovative-Marine-NUVO-Aquarium-Fusion-Lagon-25.html