Black snail/slug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryBlossom

Alright So this guy came to me off my first coral, didn't think anything of it until I started seeing little wee ones... Doesn't seem to be causing any harm, was curious to see what it may be or what I've been told it may be a Scutus snail?

These go white when the lights go out seem to have a half shell almost

Crap picture but he's the black spec in the middle

upygezat.jpg

reeffreak

Super Active Member
The way you describe it makes me think stomella snail, then I see the picture and I think what the hell is that thing. Black snail, never seen one before lol sorry I'm no help.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Does it look something like this?
725F115B-B454-44CD-9D28-D8BC653EFE02-533-0000002EC074EFC2_zps0511d8c5.jpg

This is what I believe to be a MASSIVE stomella snail, but it does have a blackish shell

reeffreak

Super Active Member
That is a stomella but the OP picture doesn't look like that at all. That's what I was thinking with the half shell description, but never seen them black ever.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I've for 1000s of stomellas they are awesome to have. Hen they clim up to the top rocks and squirt out there juices for breeding is cool to watch .

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I would pull him till u find out for sure. I'm positive it's not a stomellas snail. Being black is the main reason I don't think that it is. See anything getting eating at all?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I'm wrong ... It is a stomella !! Check out the reef central thread on black stomellas. Neato never knew they came in black. Keep an eye on him very cool to watch them release their sperm into the water column.

CherryBlossom

From what I have been reading they are great algae feeders and reef safe, mine seem to be breeding well in my tank haha read that you can sell them or give them to your local LFS or who ever wants them

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
They are one of the few real cyano eaters, totally safe and will reproduce to match the food supply.  Hermits will often get a taste for them and wipe them out.

A personal favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.