Blue/green thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reeffreak

Is t hard ? or soft like a sponge or can you even tell just by looking ?

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The main coral is a Carnation Coral not a kenya tree.

Kenya Trees look like this...

KenyaTreeCoral1.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
+1 on it not being a Kenya. Looks similar to the one Dale picked up at the swap, except that one was peach. Either way, looks bright and I bet is nice when opened up :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
that is why i asked!! i have a kenya tree and i didnt recognize that tree.... i thought maybe i was just being dumb though lol

dale

when i looked up mine all i got was "orange leather" and they do not grow their own algae they only filter feed.  . sorry, i dont know what that blue thing is....

R

reeffreak

dale link said:
when i looked up mine all i got was \"orange leather\" and they do not grow their own algae they only filter feed.  . sorry, i dont know what that blue thing is....

Grow there own algea ?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Coral-Identification-Types-of-Coral-Carnation-Coral.jpg

Carnation Coral (Dendronephthya): comes in a range of colors and flourish below underhangs and caves. This specimen of soft coral is extremely sensitive to changes in water chemistry.

I have a  feeling that the blue one is just another type of Carnation Coral.

R

reeffreak

I agree Torx I guess there very hard to keep long term , feeding up to 4 times a day ,the coral doesnt contain photosynthetic symbiont Zooxanthella which means it wont gain anythign from light . They go through lots and lots of food . Hope your ready to feed heavily

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Cancel that last thought, found something a little closer I think. Well I still think that they 'kenya tree' is a carnation coral, but the other...

Blue Palm Lollypop Tunicate

bluetunacate1.jpg

MORE INFO ON THE CORAL:
The Blue Palm Coral originates from the shallow reefs of Indonesia and has a thick base with multiple branches, or stalks with asparagus-like heads. These asparagus-like heads are comprised of clusters of zooids that continually filter the water for food. It is common for the Blue Palm to drop their heads both during transit, and within the aquarium. During this time, the tunicate will cover itself with a clear mucous. This is not an indication of poor health. Within a short time, it will blossom and form new flower like heads. The Blue Palm is non-photosynthetic and has no lighting requirements, but should be placed in an area of strong water current. Though not nescessary (they eat dissolved matter), they will benefit from supplemental feeding with liquid plankton and other dissolved organic foods, as well as benefiting from the addition of iodine and trace elements.

R

reeffreak

something along those lines... I thought Id make it sceintific lol

daleomilla

Torx link said:
Cancel that last thought, found something a little closer I think. Well I still think that they 'kenya tree' is a carnation coral, but the other...

Blue Palm Lollypop Tunicate

bluetunacate1.jpg

MORE INFO ON THE CORAL:
The Blue Palm Coral originates from the shallow reefs of Indonesia and has a thick base with multiple branches, or stalks with asparagus-like heads. These asparagus-like heads are comprised of clusters of zooids that continually filter the water for food. It is common for the Blue Palm to drop their heads both during transit, and within the aquarium. During this time, the tunicate will cover itself with a clear mucous. This is not an indication of poor health. Within a short time, it will blossom and form new flower like heads. The Blue Palm is non-photosynthetic and has no lighting requirements, but should be placed in an area of strong water current. Though not nescessary (they eat dissolved matter), they will benefit from supplemental feeding with liquid plankton and other dissolved organic foods, as well as benefiting from the addition of iodine and trace elements.
a+ I think you got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.