BLUE TO THE MAX!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

The white part of my LEDs kicked out. its only blue How bad is this? Softies, zoos, and two acros is what's in there.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
We need to know the type of bulbs.  If they're 1W blues, then your acros definitely won't do well.  If they're 3W you might do okay until you get the whites replaced...as long as they're replaceable.  If you want help with DIY I'm always happy to help out.  If it's some sort of fixture, you're on your own :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Kleko link said:
Its a DIY by aquastyle. The blue bulbs are 3W here is the link http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Bridgelux-LED-3W-Blue.html. My acros survived 4 months of power compact. I think the driver kicked the dust, its only been 2 weeks since I turned them on. I'm pissed with this company.

My 36 aqua style DIY build is still going strong (18 RB x2 strips).

I only use these for supplemental lighting though, dimmed down before/after my T5 cycle is through.

2 drivers and 2 potentiators, but all still working, coming close to a year this fall.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Hmm, well I'm not at all a fan of the bridgelux, I kind of just have always put them down as a discount line.  If you want to come by and take a look sometime feel free, I don't work for any LED companies or make any money from them, I just believe they're good tech (and I love good tech).  I sort of pitch the CREE bulbs a lot, because my setup is 1+ years old and I haven't even had a bad driver yet (and maybe 4 bulbs have burned out since I got everything set up right.  I plan to swap out the bad bulbs this week if the new ones arrive, what's cool is the 'string' still runs even if one burns out, not like the old christmas lights.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
Hmm, well I'm not at all a fan of the bridgelux, I kind of just have always put them down as a discount line.  If you want to come by and take a look sometime feel free, I don't work for any LED companies or make any money from them, I just believe they're good tech (and I love good tech).  I sort of pitch the CREE bulbs a lot, because my setup is 1+ years old and I haven't even had a bad driver yet (and maybe 4 bulbs have burned out since I got everything set up right.  I plan to swap out the bad bulbs this week if the new ones arrive, what's cool is the 'string' still runs even if one burns out, not like the old christmas lights.

i dont think crees are all that much better.. they look the same to the eye.. and alot of the high end fixtures are using bridgelux leds now also. i might be running more LEDS and might be using slightly more power but the colors are the same. (ive had zero LEDS go bad) and all 5 of my drivers are working as good as the day i fired them up.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3277.msg27256#msg27256 date=1349749309]

i dont think crees are all that much better.. they look the same to the eye.. and alot of the high end fixtures are using bridgelux leds now also. i might be running more LEDS and might be using slightly more power but the colors are the same. (ive had zero LEDS go bad) and all 5 of my drivers are working as good as the day i fired them up.
[/quote]

Which could be true, but when they first came out, they were all 1W and people were complaining... I just kept thinking "wow, people are going to use these because they're cheaper, and then say that LED sucks down the road" and that seems to be happening.  Maybe the later versions were better, I can't say for sure because I never got any of them :)

Victoss

Bridgelux are fine, you just need a bit more then you would using crees. Back to the topic at hand I think they will do okay for a bit, the corals may fade slowly but if you get your lights fixed in a timely manner you should be fine. I would test your LEDs first to make sure it's the driver. You can do this with a battery and just touch the positive to positive and negative to negative one LED at a time (if you try more then one it may be finicky and depends on your battery too). You can also do this with a multimeter too if you have one laying around. Just set it to the diode setting if it has it, you should be able to see a dim light from each.

Ill assume you have the golden Maxwellen drivers from them. To be honest they look really cheap and I read a lot that most people switch them to MeanWell after getting them any ways. It's probably why they now offer them on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.