Blue Wow Discosoma Mushroom

Janice

HI: My son and I bought a disco soma mushroom last week from Canada Corals. It was on a plug. They suggested we got off the shaft of the plug and just put the mushroom in the tank on the round part of the plug, and then the mushroom would come off of the round part of the plug on its own and go on a rock. This has not happened yet. Is it likely to happen? Any advice? Thanks, Janice

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Yes definitely agree with pistol... the coral will decide on its own time when it will move. Patience is definitely key Janice. Take things slow again your tank is very young and best not to force anything.

Janice

I was just trying to make sure that the mushroom would actually be able to get itself off the plug and that what I had been told was accurate. I was concerned they might have glued it to the plus and it could not get off when it wanted to.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Mushrooms will still walk off, even if they are glued. Sometimes they don't move for months, or ever. Others move constantly. Leaving tiny peices of foot behind that will grow another mushroom.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
Corals need time to adjust to new environmental conditions of your tank so it will take time to adjust before they start moving or growing. In a few weeks time you will notice a difference.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
For information - mushrooms are next to impossible to glue. When you handle them, they secrete a slime that makes it impossible to adhere glue to. Mushrooms are fragged, then placed in a low flow area while they heal and attach to rubble or substraight. From there the rubble or crushed coral is glued to a plug. Another method traps the mushroom on the plug with mesh until it grows directly to the frag plug and no glue is used.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

SpongeAl

I find that the discos usually travel away from the bright light in the center of my tank and end up in a corner with less light and presumably less flow.

I'm not suggesting you put him under bright light, but perhaps you can use this information, if the mushroom is comfortable it might not feel compelled to move.

I am currently going through the same thing with my new Yuma mushroom, haven't quite figured this guy out yet, it seems to have different tastes lol.