Boga's Reef Controller

KBennett

Just checked. The one I am running isn't an R3...
I have one coming in the mail that should be here next week.  Pretty sure its an R3.  I'll let you know how it works.

Boga

I found the issue. It is the Ethernet shield. It looks that some boards overheat too much. I have another one on order, should arrive in a week or two. Hopefully the new one is better.

Boga

AdamS link said:
Have you tried elelsu.com? You will prolly pay a few bucks more but they prolly have one in stock.
Their website is currently down. I will check it out little bit later. I did not even know about it. Thanks.

KBennett

What are you going to do with the ethernet shield?
I've got one in the mail, I got a cheap wireless router that can run in client mode coming too.  much cheaper than the wireless shield.
I've been looking at the code.  Never done HTML before, so it should be fun.

Boga

KBennett link said:
I've got one in the mail, I got a cheap wireless router that can run in client mode coming too.  much cheaper than the wireless shield.
Firstly I would be posting data about the system on a local webpage. I would be able to see the system and controller state from anywhere in my network.

Then I will open a port, so I can see the same thing from remote locations.

Long term plan would be  to send alert emails and make changes from a webpage.

When I get back home I will post a tutorial that I found very easy to follow.

Boga

KBennett link said:

I found this tutorial very useful. It has 18 parts. If I can do whatever is shown here ... then I'll be happy.
http://startingelectronics.com/tutorials/arduino/ethernet-shield-web-server-tutorial

Boga

I agree. For my first step I will use it just for reporting. Simple list type webpage with 10-20 seconds autorefresh.

Example:

Temp1=26 C
Temp2=25.8 C
pH=8.15
Power Head 1=ON
Power Head 2=OFF
Ret Pump=ON
White Light = 75%
Blue Light = 100%

etc.

Boga

KBennett link said:
not going to try that AJAX or whatever, where it only refreshes the values?

Yep. For start a simple HTML refresh is more than enough:
Code:
          // send a standard http response header
          client.println("HTTP/1.1 200 OK");
          client.println("Content-Type: text/html");
          client.println("Refresh: 5");  // refresh the page automatically every 5 sec

Boga

Little bit of work that I've done in the past couple weeks.

PCB for pH and EC shields. For easy programming they will be connected to two RX/TX pairs on Arduino Mega (pins 14, 15, 16 and 17). When I will add the ORP and Dissolved Oxygen probes, then I will add the multiplexer from Atlas Scientific connected to one RX/TX pair.

I used the transfer paper method to make the PCB's. First time when I did it and it looks satisfactory. I used Ferric Chloride for etching.

Boga

At this point I would say that I have the webpage (as a report for now) and the data logging working. The web report can be viewed from any computer or smartphone on the local network. Still there are tons of code to write. I am "suffering" from a low resolution LCD, but I do not want to invest more time in another one. I hope that I can make it up with a much better webpage.