brain coral question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitro069

I recently picked up a closed brain (thanks parksy) and am wondering if it will grow larger just sitting on the substrate or does it need to be place on a rock to attach to. I am assuming it will grow a hard base and just get larger but just wanted to check.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I have had a wellsophyllia brain for over 3 years now......it sits on the bottom substrate.....no issues.....these things love to be fed.....when I feed my fish I always drop the pellets and mysis over where the brain is so it gets a little too.....
Some people direct target feed when the lights are out but I never have and haven't seen any issues......the tentacles are out at night but if it gets given food when lights are on, the tentacles will come out then too and it will eat.......
U got a pic? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nitro069

Here are a couple pics. What kind of brain is this?

the bottom right where it is touching the substrate is new. prob about 1/4" high x 1" wide in growth in the last week or so  :) just not sure whats under it or how it will expand or grow out

parksy

Super Active Member
It will grow on the sand just fine but if you put it on a rock new growth will attach to the rock. Once it has attched you can move it and that new growth will now grow on its own creating a new colonie.

It is a green maze brain.

nitro069

parksy link said:
It will grow on the sand just fine but if you put it on a rock new growth will attach to the rock. Once it has attched you can move it and that new growth will now grow on its own creating a new colonie.

It is a green maze brain.
So if i don't put it on a rock will it grow out and just be a green fleshy mass or will it get a skeleton base??

Status
Not open for further replies.