Brain Coral wont open fully

G

Gietz

So I grab up a healthy brain from Bill at Incredible and it was doing great for about 2 months in the rock work. It got to big for its place (and i read that the rocks can cut there skin) so I moved it into to the sand bed about 4 weeks ago and ever since then it only opens after I feed it.

It gets huge after I feed and looks amazing but for most of the day it is less than half closed up.

my water was tested 2 weeks and was fine as well as all my other corals and high end LPS. I'm running 4 T5 high out 54 watt bulbs and I have around 23X flow in my tank. the Brian is in low- medium flow.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I have one tang, Kole Tang and all other fish/ shrimp are small.

I'm just lost  :?  LOL

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
id stop feeding it, I have gone through 3 brains, first 2 I fed and always tried to make "happy" they died.. the one I have now has never been fed by me for over a year and is big and healthy

G

Gietz

Yes I put the coral in the lowest flow part of my tank, what I'll do is not feed it for a week and see if it opens up.

Could there be something in the sand bed affecting it? bristle worms or feather duster?

G

Gietz

I thought of that, but I'm using the same box of salt, RODI water and weekly water changes.  I don't think its the water but ill test again this weekend as you make a valid point

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It could not be related, but anything can happen to your water. It is just one of those starter questions that a lot of people over look and may not be related at all, but you never know unless you ask.

I had my open brain too close to my maze brain and it was getting stung by the maze sweepers that came out at night. Something could be pissing it off, best to play nightwatchman and see who may be picking on it.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i had a beauty and really hated to part with it,my tang started picking at it,it wasnt obvious in the start but eventually it wouldnt inflate at all untill i put it in the sump,i fed mine once a week with fauna marin ultra LPS i got from sealife,and tiger shrimp i use to make home made food for the rest of the tank,i never fed at night as i was always in bed but under full lights and mine would eat with its many mouths,it also went through short peiods of not being to inflatedbut still very jelly like and always bounced back to normal in a few days

G

Gietz

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... At night its feeders are out and it grows a bit. 

Im just lost.... in the rocks it was fine in the sand bed its bad... right now it opens more at night than it does with day lights. 

Maybe to much light?

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Ive read these guys like to be fed at night,i just never did,the feeder tentacles were not out  during the lights on time but excepted the food quite readily,lowest light and slowest fow part of the floor of the tank is where mine thrived and grew quite rapidly

G

Gietz

Here is a picture (if it loads right)

what ill try to do is but my frag rack over the side of the tank where the brain to shade it.

MrHermit85

Gietz link said:
Here is a picture (if it loads right)

what ill try to do is but my frag rack over the side of the tank where the brain to shade it.

Looks good to me too. Mine looks like that too maybe a little puffier and he looked the same in bills tank when I bought it...

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I didn't really think they got all that puffed up during the day, I know at night it's a different story when they puff up and extend there polyps, that's normally when they get really puffy.

That picture seems like its healthy.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
I didn't really think they got all that puffed up during the day, I know at night it's a different story when they puff up and extend there polyps, that's normally when they get really puffy.

Agree, totally healthy looking.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
[quote author=reeffreak link=topic=6692.msg66373#msg66373 date=1383263369]

Agree, totally healthy looking.
[/quote]

+ 1

G

Gietz

Yeah this is what it use to look like! Lol now it only gets larger at night.  I'm on tank stalking mood now, let's see if there's a nipper in the tank

G

Gietz

yes, 2 they host in my Hammer. 

So here is the issue, and I cant figure it out but its funny.,.....

I work from 7:30 till 5 everyday so yesterday and had the wondeful gf on tank patrol and she said the coral stayed open (just like the picture) until about 4:30.  then at 5 it is completly closed for the rest of the night whites go off.

Either A it doesnt like me or B the it gets enough light during the day. 

maybe my lights are on too long (ill check that out this weekend)