Brain damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Hey guys I got this green lobo brain a week or two ago, and it was doing fine in my frag tank so I put it in my display and it was happy for an couple days, first pic
But over the past three days it hasn't puffed up atal, and when I got home from work this aft i can see the Skeleton coming through the bottom , see 2nd pic

Frogspawn, hammer, candy cane, acan and other lps doing just fine in my tank.

Any ideas?

It is on the sand, 30" down, lights are 12" above the water, 2-250w mh with 4- t5 supplement.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Looks like it is definitely peeling/receding. Have you fed it all since you got it?

I have had this happen before after purchasing brains directly from a shipment, they don't like to be moved it seems.

I totally forgot to look when I was over.

edit: after looking at photo again, it looks just shriveled up more then receding or peeling.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Mine LOVE to be fed, I think all of them do... so maybe try feeding it a bit? im not sure

How much flow is it getting? Can you see anything on it that might be making it not open? or any flesh peeling away?

ive never seen a brain that colour before either!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
The flesh is defiantly peeling back on the skeleton, some of the ridges on the base are poking thru.  I moved it up off the sand onto a rock. It's not being blasted by any flow, I'm wondering if an angel or my cleaner wrasse is picking at it? But I haven't seen anything suspicious ...

spyd

Super Active Member
Have you dippedit yet? Once you see skeleton, your brain can esily get diseased. Dip it in some coral rx or something along those lines to prevent any diseases. Next, feed the brain abut 15 minutes after lights out. You should see tentacles at that time. They like to be fed about twice a week if you want to keep it nice and happy. Mysis is best.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
spyd link said:
Have you dippedit yet? Once you see skeleton, your brain can esily get diseased. Dip it in some coral rx or something along those lines to prevent any diseases. Next, feed the brain abut 15 minutes after lights out. You should see tentacles at that time. They like to be fed about twice a week if you want to keep it nice and happy. Mysis is best.
Now you tell me.

I have one in a similar situation Brandon.  Mine opens up and eats like a champ.  but some edges are receding steadily.  Lots of skeleton showing that was not there previously.
I will try dipping to see if that helps at all.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I watched the tank for a good hour , friken bi colour is eating it ...

So I pulled the brain out n put in the frag tank, I will dip it tmrw, I have some or those coral rx one shot tubes

P

phi delt reefer

i would just get rid of the brain if you have two angels picking at it.

Get a hydraphora (spelling?) - its nuclear green but watch out its got a deadly sting so keep it isolated. They are easy to keep and just as green.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Ya Vince that was my first thought, but I want to do a mixed reef with lots of acans, brains favias etc and I don't want to risk my purchases becoming snacks

P

phi delt reefer

how often are the angels feed?

most of what i have read says its 50/50 as to whether those angels will be reef safe.

Others have stated they have kept the picking to a minimum by feed the tank several times a day. It doesnt stop the picking but it minimizes it too a point where it doesnt impact the coral.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Ya I've had the bi colour for a year , never had a problem, but I have cut back on feedings a bit to help with phosphate reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.