Brake Job

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
My wife told me yesterday that the van sounds like it is dragging metal under it. Ya...my face exactly. After asking more questions, turns out it is when she brakes and it used to squeek rhythmically when she drove, but that stopped a few days ago. So I took it out for a drive. After the first stop I didn't even trust going the 20 feet back home but I did anyways. So I today I replaced brake pads and rotors. My son was over so I showed him one side and made him do the other.

For all you guys who know ... here are her pads, or what is left of them...you can imagine what her rotors looked like

1b2b3c9e2ab59cbe49414cd7daa9223a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
On a plus side. I found out that Canadian Tire has Stanley torque wrenches on sale. 1/2 and 3/8 drives were only $75 and Stanley has a lifetime warranty. They also come in a great hard case.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I also found a really easy way to remove stuck rotors. I tried hammering and almost tried heat, but I tried using bolts through the caliper bracket holes that. Put a bolt through the caliper bracket holes, add 2 washers and a nut, then drive the bolt down. As the bolt goes through the nut it presses out on the rotor. Do it in both holes at the same time and it will brake the rotor free. Loosen them and rotate the rotor and repeat if needed. Took 0 force, didn't even break a sweat.

Nighthawk26

Jesus. Sounds like my Fiance. I will get in the car and hear something, she will say oh yeah, it's been doing that for a while now. Like no thought to think anything of it. Blows my mind. Those pads were done a long LONG time ago. Haha

sLAsh

My wife does the same thing. I don't drive the envoy so I only find out when something catastrophic happens.
I put new tie rods on it and told her to take it in for an alignment. Six months later she tells me the truck feels strange. I go out and find that she has worn through the belts on one side and the other isn't much better. I asked her if she got the alignment done and she said it drove fine so she never bothered . So I got to pay for new tires and an alignment.:(

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I am not much better myself, but I know when brakes need to be done. Actually right now I have a vacuum leak that I just have not taken the time to bring in and find and repair. Shop rates here are ridiculous. It is hard to find a shop that charges less then $100 an hour. The one I did find, my hours make it impossible for me to get in and out of. I also am tired of them charging 2 hours labor for a 20 minute job because that is what the book says to charge for the job. I found a guy that would come to your house for only $20/hour, but he has changed contact info and I can not find him. My 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT sounds like an electric weedwacker right now :\

SamB

Super Active Member
Hey Torx - thanks for posting what was probably a routine day around your home
You're too much of a cool dude to express it yourself so please indulge me to make a few comments.
You've not only kept your wife and your family safe but you've taught your kids to be self sufficient and to fend for themselves
Well played Sir - IMO you are setting a great example for how a man should be

Pipes

I have the opposite problem. My wife does the breaks, and auto work, and I know very little about cars. Too bad she's such a PITA. I can build houses, but don't want to risk my kids lives to a you tube video. I feel that I'm a pro in my field (plumbing), so I'll let some one else be a pro in their field (automotive).

Last edited:

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Brakes are pretty easy actually, maybe there's a college night school course you could take with a bunch of eligible women that would like to learn the basics. Two birds with one stone

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Agreed. They are easy and not the first time I have done them. But it had been a long time. Oil changes on 2 vehicles for him next weekend ;). Although that is one I normally just get done for me.