Bristle worm killed cleaner wrasse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giglio324

So I noticed my cleaner wrasse went missing a few days ago. I did finally find the carcass basically stripped clean. I have a gut feeling the 6-7" bristle worm i saw the other morning while checking all my coral and such, killed my cleaner wrasse. First of all is this possible, secondly how do I go about luring out this bristle worm out for capture?

shipwreck

bristleworms don't and can't kill fish, they just eat the fish that are already dead.  Look up euchnid worms and see if that is what you saw.  Those can attacking sleeping fish and grow much larger then standard bristleworms.

Giglio324

From the looks of it and what I can recall it is. I'm gonna try and replicate one of the traps I hear people using. Seems to be just a plastic tube with a plug at one end and you put food inside. Is it Euclid or euchnid, I found Euclid online. Hopefully I catch this sucker

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Cleaner wrasse die all the time in captivity, unless you're lucky enough to get one that will eat food...

mine eats nls :) had him for over a year

Giglio324

my cleaner wrasse was eating as well. brine shrimp and nls pellets. i have a feeling its that disgusting worm cuz where i once saw the wrasse sleeping in the rocks is where i spotted the worm at another time. he was at the scene of the crime

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Giglio324 link said:
my cleaner wrasse was eating as well. brine shrimp and nls pellets. i have a feeling its that disgusting worm cuz where i once saw the wrasse sleeping in the rocks is where i spotted the worm at another time. he was at the scene of the crime

Bristle worms are opportunistic feeders, not hunters. They will eat what is dead, or dying, but they won't hunt! A healthy fish, even when sleeping, will swim away.

Status
Not open for further replies.