Brown Algae In A Nano

Troy

OK, I have brown algae, and I have no idea how to get rid of it in my nano. My testing kit is terrible and I am not getting any accurate readings(my eyes also suck to read them).

My corals are doing great, great colour great extension, no issues there. Both SPS and LPS.

The algae has come with my new light, DsunY 165W, I have it turned down to approx 30% at its brightest. Should I turn the light down? limit the length of time it is on? It is the first programmable light I have ever owned, i have been trying to work out the kinks.

I also just introduced a Canada Copepods Seed pack last week. It was supposed to help feed stabilize the tank and help reduce algae. It has gotten worse.

Josh

Diatoms perhaps? Maybe dinos? Pretty sure you wont get an answer that will please you without some water test parameters. Typically algae/bacteria blooms are because an influx of nutrients, its possible depending on what was in the copepod seed pack that you fed the fire.
Post back your phosphate/nitrate levels and that will give a better indication as to whats going on, seems like your lighting is fine though.

Troy

Earliest i can make my way to a store is this weekend for good test kits. Or Amazon.... What are peoples thoughts on the Hanna Digital meters?

Copperkills

My guess is the increased lighting...I experienced similar in my nano each time I increase the intensity and photo period...my turbo and trochus snails keep the bloom in check..it will work itself out over a few weeks.

Skim

A pic would be nice. Is this just on the Glass or is covering the Substrate? I would not mess to much with light as your Corals are doing well and sudden lengthy changes do not go over well. As for Copepods causing an increase well yes you added larger Organic load to the system. I see you say you have a Nano, IMO I would make up a large bucket of Salt water and just do daily or every other day 1 L water change to start and see how that is and increase if you have to. I would also get some Puregen ( Seachem ) and hang it in the overflow if you have one, if not just hang it in the tank behind some rock work but where it receives water flow.

Troy

The algae is growing on both the glass and substrate. But it is not like anything I have had before. It is just there, it easily scrapes off the glass, it is not blanketing the sand like "red slime".

I have started with water changes of 1/2G a day. I am also going to limit some of the time that the lighting is on. Its a 9G nano, no overflow. I will do my best to post a pic later tonight.

I also noticed the other day that i seem to have a temperature fluctuation. I don't know if the heater is faulty or possibly natural sunlight heating up the room when i am not home during the day.

I hope to replenish my salt water and RODI water when i grab tests over the weekend.

Josh

is it a closed lid? my biocube 29 used to overheat badly because of the enclosed lid and lighting.