Bryopsis

Nick James

I noticed what looked like a couple sprigs of baby bryopsis starting to grow at the top of one of my rocks. Did some research and made a peroxide/baking soda paste. I applied a little bit to each peice with the pumps off. Let it sit a few minutes and then pulled out the sprigs but there were small bits of stock/ roots left. This morning, it's all gone.. Knock on wood it seems to have worked.

For others with the issue, I've read that dosing 3ml of peroxide per 10 gallons of tank water also works at killing bryopsis and other algaes. One problem is, it may kill inverts such as shrimp, crabs and pods.

Since I only had two peices of it, I pasted each one with a small amount and it seemed to do the trick. I also believe from my reading that the peroxide dissolves very quickly in the tank and is not something that lingers or builds up.

Input from someone smarter than me would be great!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I dip frags in dilute peroxide if there is any algae that concerns me on it...mind you I dip the plug only and do my best to minimize contact with the coral. I am not a fan of the idea of dosing it in a tank.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I dip frags in dilute peroxide if there is any algae that concerns me on it...mind you I dip the plug only and do my best to minimize contact with the coral. I am not a fan of the idea of dosing it in a tank.
I did it for our top coral tank here at the store and it took care of most of the heavy build up.

Nick James

I read posts where people use it as a coral dip as well with no adverse effects. I am a bit skeptical of whole tank dosing as well due to the inverts..

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Everything. I had sps and lps and softies. I even think I was a little light on the dose

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Everything. I had sps and lps and softies. I even think I was a little light on the dose

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Good to know...I will have to experiment...

I put some Bryopsis in the frag tank to play with but after an initial bloom it keeps dying out on me...I guess I need to learn what I need to change to grow it before I start looking at how to kill it...LOL

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
I've done in tank dosing with my nano, no ill affects what so ever, and I did dosing three times a day for 3 weeks, all coral alive and happy and no algaes afterwards, also no invert loss either...my dosing was 5ml in 15g of water 3 times daily....although anemones and hammer/frogspawn did get a little mad when initial dosing happen as they would puff up then go back to normal size after a few minutes.....:)

Marz

Good to know...I will have to experiment...

I put some Bryopsis in the frag tank to play with but after an initial bloom it keeps dying out on me...I guess I need to learn what I need to change to grow it before I start looking at how to kill it...LOL

Drop by my place, I can grow it better than most I am sure.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I have successfully removed bryopiss from Riley's stuff. Takes a few dips to really get rid of heavy amount. I used peroxide and water and just dropped the frag in for 10-15 mins at a time. What I did was get a small enough container to submerge the Frags, and slowly add while gently stirring the water the peroxide when the algae began to bubble. I stopped. Came back about 5 mins later and added some more peroxide then let soak for awhile, quick rinse then back into the QT system.

Bryo can send off spores so don't pick in your DT pick and prod in a separate disposable water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk