Bubble algae issues

CherryBlossom

I don't have a GFO Reactor, I need to change my carbon this weekend & Change my lights

Does any of the Phosphate removers come in the little bag like the carbon?

Just did a huge water change the other day to get my Nitrate levels down, Still on the high side of things, my PH is low on my testing around 7.0

Doing weekly testing, cleaning.... Don't know what happened, There is a sliding glass door with sun coming in where the tank is, Could natural sunlight be causing some of these issues?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Emeralds don't really work like you would want them to. Maybe for mild cases of bubble algae, but a major outbreak, it won't do a thing. I'm find they just peel the bubbles off, they get caught in the current and sucked into the power head, in return just defeats the purpose now that bubbles popped  and spread through the tank.

Manually removal is probably best, use a small hose and suck it up off the rocks. I'm actually shutting my whole system down because of bubble algae out break. I've done everything from emerald crab, manual removal my yellow tang eats it but not near fast enough. Yet to control it.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I had an extreme outbreak.... 4 emeralds came and went... Helped a little... But I believe it was the yellow tang and fox face that destroyed it.  Still see bits and pieces but nothing near what it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i had an outbreak last year,tried emeralds,tangs,algae- x, algae-x probably put the best beating on it but it didn't eradicate,got so frustrated last July i tore the whole bloody thing down,scrubbed each rock,tank overlows,replaced the plumbing,cleaned the sump and was back up and running by the end of my vacation,only then did i celebrate victory

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
CherryBlossom link said:
I have a little Yellow tang coming from Derek soon... He said he didn't eat his bubble algae, so we will see

Once the tang is settled in, drop some bubble algae into tank. Only way I have ever gotten a tang to eat bubble algae was making it seem like I was actually feeding it to them :)

CherryBlossom

And of course it is on the pieces on my rock scape that I can't move without taking everything out lol ...

Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't of thought about doing it that way

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
CherryBlossom link said:
Hmm I'll have to go take a look Sunday

i know in my 150g if i put any algae in my naso eats it instantly, i bought a rock with a coral on it once, covered in bubbles and just threw it in my display and the naso devoured it... great fish too :)

Boga

CherryBlossom link said:
Just did a huge water change the other day to get my Nitrate levels down, Still on the high side of things, my PH is low on my testing around 7.0
pH ~7.0  ?!! That is low!

What test kit are you using? Is it within expiry date? Possible contaminated?
Do you have a kit for Alkalinity? If yes, have you tested Alk?
Do you run a calcium reactor?
Is your tank in the basement?