Bubble algae issues

Jewel

How did you make out with the Bubble Algae? I know it can really do a number on your tank and on your enthusiasm for Reefing. Does it just appear in the tank or does it have to be introduced? Unknowingly of course. I hate it as well.

benzzz

I too have always seemed to have it a bit. I have a long set of SS tongs and once in awhile will go in and flick them off and let the screen grab them on my CL return pipe then take them out.
Always read people saying dont bust the bubble as it will release spores and increase growth. Could never understand this theory as some emerald crabs and fish eat them apparently and wouldn't they be doing the same thing when thet eat them?  Just a thought out there.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
benzzz link said:
I too have always seemed to have it a bit. I have a long set of SS tongs and once in awhile will go in and flick them off and let the screen grab them on my CL return pipe then take them out.
Always read people saying dont bust the bubble as it will release spores and increase growth. Could never understand this theory as some emerald crabs and fish eat them apparently and wouldn't they be doing the same thing when thet eat them?  Just a thought out there.

Yea that's the problem with emeralds and tangs, they so burst them so it's a recurring problem, but usually a naso tang or the like will keep up to it, crabs, not so much

Jewel

I had once bought a Vlamingi Tang for the Bubbles but as you know they can get pretty big and fast too, Same as a Naso, They get big quickly. My Fox Face appears to keep everything in check but then again I pretty diligent about scanning the rock for any unwanted pests, If I see anything, I'll take the rock out and get rid of what ever it is by dipping it or removing that part of the rock.