Bubble alge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i bought these 2 rocks with corals on them the other night,seen the aptasia and killed off one tonight.as i was searching out the other 2 i noticed these green bubbles.i said WTF?i bought this rock because of the stuff growing on it,now i have to either remove the rock fast or is there any good solutions?

S

stellarflare

Hi pulpfiction1, How many do you figure are on the two rocks my friend?

Blob-79

Super Active Member
when I encounter a couple on a frag or colony ive bought, I just pull the rock out of your tank, and carefully scrape/break them off the rock, being carefull not to break or pop them, they arent easy to pop or anything, if you do happen to pop one just take some tank water in a bowl big enouph to dip the rock in(I guess ro water would work too.) and just rinse the area that the bubble popped.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i have removed about 10 from the rock with turkey baster but 2 have broke,damn,i guess i got a real problem brewing,real high flow in my tank so if any got away its all over the place now,and yes i should of turned the pumps off but paniced when i noticed it.wasnt there or wasnt visible till tonight

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
stellarflare link said:
Hi pulpfiction1, How many do you figure are on the two rocks my friend?

only lookin on the corner of 1 rock that you see in the picture,im gonna have to pull both out tomorrow and quarantine them like i should of in the first place,just the source was reliable i thought

Kleko

I have this same problem ive talked to some FS owners and they say that emerald crabs eat them I havent tried it yet personaly

C

crazybizzle

i had a good amount before,  i just scraped them with tweezers their pretty hard to pop, vac d what i could , the rest end up get sucked into my powerhead and get stuck their, then just pull em out.  for me my emeralds ate them.

S

shayneh

I wouldn't even be worried about it unless your nutrient levels are high. You can just pull them off if your careful not to break them....I like the looks of them and leave the few I have in my tank alone.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
things dont seem so bad after a good nights sleep,the article rick reffered to pretty much states that these can be removed and that people confuse the types so i will isolate the rocks today and give them both a goin over,says even if bubble gets broken there is a whole gauntlet to run before it can settle to re-establish itself.these were growing under and inbetween the blue cloves ?i think its called,i will give it a good once over later today

Blob-79

Super Active Member
Ya. most reef systems wont allow them to grow really. As long as your water parameters are where they should be and nutrient levels are low, you shouldnt have any issues. Ive had a couple corals with them on the underside, pretty sure ive broke a few but to this day, I have none in my display, that I can see anyways. (I just switched tanks and gave all my rock good inspection and didnt see any)

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Could be wrong but the last time I had small green bubbles on my rock it was caulerpa or however you spell it. If someone had this macro in their fuge, it tends to go a sexual and spread into the dt. Becomes a real nuisance algae is it quickly spreads. And will soon take over. I simply picked it off the Rick being careful not to pop it as it's spores could enter the water column and continue to spread. I had some inside my cheato which is why it appeared. Removed it all manually and it never returned. Just a thought. If it's hard to the touch most likely caulerpa.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
Not necessarily true. The type of Caulerpa you are refurring to is commonly called "grape algae" it grows series of green bubbles (grapes) on stalks. I actually keep a clump in my refugium. In a display, ya it can take over, but not if you have a tang. It also will never go asexual in a refugium if you run your refugium lighting 24/7. What pulp has is definitly bubble algae

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
lewis844 link said:
popping them only causes more bubble algea to grom you have to scrape them off in full

actually popping then CAN cause more to grow but chances are not good for it in a well established tank that has the food this alge requires in check(nitrates,phosphates),this is what i took from the link rick posted,im pretty much hopig this to be the case,i am gonna remove the rock and pick each peice off and hope for the best,it doesnt look offensive to me but if it takes over im done  lol

lewis844

just make sure you get all of it off the rock and dont leave a foot of it or it will just grow back

you also could buy a emerald crab they eat bubble algea when it is small

Status
Not open for further replies.