Bubble Coral

Winks

Website Affiliate
I have a huge Bubble Coral. It's a beauty and the center of attention from anyone that sees my DT. It's about the size of a basket ball when fully bubbled out. I just spot feed the main bubble, which has 4 large mouths, and as it curled up to eat, I finally got a pic of what looks like "babies" on the back side of it. There are 3 of them and I knew they were there. I noticed them when they were about the size of a dime. They're now about the`size of a toonie. Anyone know if they will ever leave the mother ( drop off) or will they just keep growing there? I have read that if they get stressed they will produce the babies but can't find any other information on it.

On a side note: If I try to run carbon or GFO the mother Bubble gets stressed. Almost to the point where it looks like death is just around the corner. Once I stop using the Carbon and the GFO, within 3 days you would never know anything was ever wrong.

I have no idea how to frag the bubble and I'm scared of loosing it if I try. Has anyone ever fragged a Bubble Coral?

20180503 bubble.jpg

Winks

Website Affiliate
No one? Hmmmmm must be someone out there that knows something about Bubble Corals :cool:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Bubble corals grow from a central skeleton. They will not "drop" off the mother like a soft coral would.

Fragging isn't tough. You just need to cut into the skeleton and avoid cutting any of the fleshy parts.

As for the carbon and gfo. You could be using too much on the size system you have that could be effecting water chemistry too quickly. Have you tried using possibly 50% or 25% of what you normally use? What are your water quality parameters right now?

S8

Last edited:

Kman

Super Active Member
The babies can happen for a few reasons. It is part of a process called polyp ball out where the conditions of the coral or that section of coral are not ideal. (like shading or not the correct water flow) The coral or section are attempting to move itself as a last ditch attempt. Or it is a form of asexual reproduction by budding. Sometimes the bubble will release a enzyme that breaks down the surrounding calcium skeleton so that section can break away. You should be able to help it by taking cutters and at least partially cutting the skeleton. Word of caution depending on the type of bubble and skeletal growth it can be between hard and super easy to crumble. So take care if you decide to frag as I have seen bubble cave into pieces when to much force was applied. They don't always break where you think they will. But most times it should be easy.

Winks

Website Affiliate
Does it hurt just to leave them alone? I don't really care if I frag this coral, in fact it's such a nice coral that I would hate to loose it. If the this will not hurt the coral in some way then I think I would rather just leave nature to it's own.