Bulk Additives Among other things

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Hopefully I am not hijacking anything here but with seeing the threads of people getting stuff from BRS I wanted to let you all know we can get Bulk Additives among some of the other things you order from there.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/additives/srenterprises.html?cat=193
http://www.bigalspets.ca/search/go?p=Q&lbc=bigals-ca&uid=411405273&ts=custom&w=glue&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&af=brand:ecotechmarine

We don't charge you shipping if you order from the store. I do understand that you have to drive here but you will get to see my smiling face.

Think about it before you pay an arm and a leg for shipping.

Thanks

jroovers

Super Active Member
Interesting on the bulk additives.  I wonder how the price stacks up pound for pound... the BRS stuff is in gallons of course for comparison. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
jroovers link said:
Interesting on the bulk additives.  I wonder how the price stacks up pound for pound... the BRS stuff is in gallons of course for comparison.
I was texting with one of the guys on here and I had a number but now I can't the text.  I will look into it this afternoon and get back to you.  If Glen sees this and can check his texts he might be nice enough to chime in.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=jroovers link=topic=6484.msg63508#msg63508 date=1381255250]
I was texting with one of the guys on here and I had a number but now I can't the text.  I will look into it this afternoon and get back to you.  If Glen sees this and can check his texts he might be nice enough to chime in.
[/quote]

poor guy is probably drunk already though :(

theyangman

Distinguished Member
There is no conversion between gallons to pounds. It varies on what the item is.

A gallon of water is heavier than a gallon of gasoline.

the density will play a huge factor in conversion.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
theyangman link said:
There is no conversion between gallons to pounds. It varies on what the item is.

A gallon of water is heavier than a gallon of gasoline.

the density will play a huge factor in conversion.
Oh I know that but I think I figured out the cost per useage or something like that. I cant remember it was a couple of months ago.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
http://www.bigalspets.ca/alkalinity-kh-booster-sodium-bicarbonate-2-2-lb.html

9.99 and it make 2 gallons. - Easy and simple.

vs.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-sodium-bicarbonate-aquarium-supplement-1.html

12.99 for a 1/2 gallon container.

It takes a cup and 4 table spoons (20 tablespoons total) to make 1 gallon.

Little math here:

1 cup = 8 oz = 16 table spoons

1 table spoon = 0.5 oz

you need 20 tablespoons to make 1 gallon.

20 table spoons = 10 oz  of powder to make 1 gallon

so if: 1/2 gallon = 64 oz.

You are able to make 6.4 gallons.

BRS wins in a landslide. This is comparing the small bag vs the smallest BRS container.

So literally if you wanna break it down even further:

Big Als: 9.99 / 2 = $4.99 per gallon

BRS: 12.99 / 6.4 =  $2.03 per gallon + shipping (this can vary too much so I can't quote properly on this part)

***Also this is comparing the smallest containers of each product. I can only imagine the example is exaggerated even further as the quantity increases***

***The big als stuff will be subject to HST, while the BRS stuff is subject to CDN dollar to USD conversions, there isn't a 13% premium on their money so the results are varying there as well in favor of BRS***

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I know on the BRS site when you look at the picture of Calcium Chloride it says 1 gallon weighs 7 lbs

So if you look at Bigals bag of Calcium Chloride at a weight of 8.8lbs it works out to $2.84 per lb.

Brs weighs 7 lbs so you are looking at $2.28 a lb adding exchange and you get about 2.44 a lb depending on the day and then you still need to add shipping.

I am no math Genious so it could be wrong.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Big_Als_London link said:
I know on the BRS site when you look at the picture of Calcium Chloride it says 1 gallon weighs 7 lbs

So if you look at Bigals bag of Calcium Chloride at a weight of 8.8lbs it works out to $2.84 per lb.

Brs weighs 7 lbs so you are looking at $2.28 a lb adding exchange and you get about 2.44 a lb depending on the day and then you still need to add shipping.

I am no math Genious so it could be wrong.

Tony, your method makes sense but I think this is probably the easiest way to approximate costs.  If this is the case, then local bulk additives could actually be cheaper after factoring in expensive brokerage and shipping. 

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Thats the thing Jordan, my figures are exact for the additives itself. I can not factor in properly the shipping and handling. Too many variables hence the disclaimer.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Also it depends on brs' claims to how much it produces gallon wise. The concentration might be higher or the formula better in one of the products that would REALLY throw that general calculation off.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

jroovers

Super Active Member
theyangman link said:
Thats the thing Jordan, my figures are exact for the additives itself. I can not factor in properly the shipping and handling. Too many variables hence the disclaimer.

Your cost per gallon though varies quite a bit from the cost per pound, which is pretty close comparably speaking? Something seems off.  I'm assuming that the additive itself is comparable quality wise and that the mixing instructions are the same as the bulk 2-part (which I could be wrong about that though).

jroovers

Super Active Member
theyangman link said:
Also it depends on brs' claims to how much it produces gallon wise. The concentration might be higher or the formula better in one of the products that would REALLY throw that general calculation off.

Yes, my thought too... there are a lot of variables to consider (potentially).  Where is Randy Holmes-Farley when you need him.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Oh!  Good to know about the bulk additives!  I'm sure I will be to the point of doing 2 part dosing eventually. 

Now if only you could get in bulk high cap GFO and ROX carbon!  ;) (or maybe you do and I just haven't seen it on the site?? all I've found is commercial products like phosguard, seagel and phosphate sponge)

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
curiousphil link said:
Oh!  Good to know about the bulk additives!  I'm sure I will be to the point of doing 2 part dosing eventually. 

Now if only you could get in bulk high cap GFO and ROX carbon!  ;) (or maybe you do and I just haven't seen it on the site?? all I've found is commercial products like phosguard, seagel and phosphate sponge)
I have been pushing them to do this and they say use phosgaurd and what not. I will say the marineland carbon is pretty good but not sure on price comparison

theyangman

Distinguished Member
jroovers link said:
[quote author=theyangman link=topic=6484.msg63521#msg63521 date=1381258100]

Your cost per gallon though varies quite a bit from the cost per pound, which is pretty close comparably speaking? Something seems off.  I'm assuming that the additive itself is comparable quality wise and that the mixing instructions are the same as the bulk 2-part (which I could be wrong about that though).
[/quote]

Aaron did a few things different.

He compared their largest size (presumably best value) vs. Brs mid size (middle value)

And most importantly he is comparing a different product. Lol he did his calculations calcium chloride vs mine of sodium bicarbonate.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
theyangman link said:
[quote author=jroovers link=topic=6484.msg63525#msg63525 date=1381258497]
[quote author=theyangman link=topic=6484.msg63521#msg63521 date=1381258100]

[/quote]

Aaron did a few things different.

He compared their largest size (presumably best value) vs. Brs mid size (middle value)

And most importantly he is comparing a different product. Lol he did his calculations calcium chloride vs mine of sodium bicarbonate.

[/quote]I actually used BRS Calcium Chloride 1 gallon which would be the most comparable size to the 8.8 lb. If you look at BRS's picture and zoom in on it it says it weighs 7 lbs

theyangman

Distinguished Member
lol, oh Aaron, I'm just busting balls mathematically.

Support someone local who participates in the community and lets be thankful we have someone who is around town that can help us out.

That is priceless.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I used the smaller sizes in comparison
The 1/2 gallon which weighs 3.5 lbs is $3.71 per lb plus exchange of about 1.07 is around 3.969

Big Al's 2.2 lb is 4.54 per lb