Calcium levels too high

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexusnight

So heres the deal,  ??? i did a 20% water change on my 55g yesterday afternoon and today tested my params. the only ones I am testing are amm, nitrate, nitrite,ph,calc,alk. i dont have a mag or phos tester yet.
Day prior to WC results are... 0 for amm,nitrite and nitrate all on api kits
                                                      Alk 150ppm/ 8.4 dkh  Hanna checker
                                                      Calcium 521 ppm. Hanna, tested twice and both read within 4 ppm
                                                      Ph 8.2 api

Today after Wc                        still 0 for amm,nitrate,nitrite
                                                    Alk 157ppm/ 8.80 dkh
                                                    Calcium 540 ppm
                                                      Ph 8.2
specific gravity maintained at 1.025 constant
I tested the WC water and its good for calcium on the hanna test kit. 437ppm
Not sure why its so high as i do not dose anything and the salts been the same and same ro water source.
Can I reduce this calcium level? Should I even be concerned about it? Does Mag play a crucial role to this level as I dont have a test kit for it yet. May get one today.
Thanks!!!! ;)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
Throw the CAL  hanna in the garbage

Agree, there's just simply no way those results are accurate unless your dosing something with calcium in it..

If your water change water was only 437..Then u would have seen a slight decrease from the water change.. U need another calcium test to compare it too. I suggest the red Sea pro kit.

nexusnight

Ok ill het another kit to compare with i gueas. Seems odd though. I did all my tests with the same hanna. WC and tank water.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

nexusnight

Just a thought, is it possible my sand and rock could be the cause of increased calc readings?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If it's new sand that's definitely a possibility. Doc you syphon it? I if u do I'd just leave It alone for a whle

nexusnight

I did do the sand when i did my water change. ill leave it for a while and see. its still a fairly new tank like 6 weeks. the coraline is just starting to show on the rockwork. i just wanted to know if it was a problem or more whats the cause so i can get and keep my tank stable. Figured now is better than when its fully stocked ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.