Calling All Contractors

heath

Distinguished Member
talking with a friend of mine this morning and she has a big problem..
so here goes;
less than 30 days ago she had a new deck w/partial roof built, she paid over $10k and this week discovered that 2 of the beams on the roof section has Boring Beetles, there is saw dust on the floor of the deck.. she called the company and they won't even come and look at it...they told her to buy some kind of treatment and apply it to the affected area...
I told her to go to the lumber yard where the wood came from, they are a very reputable company in town that have been in business for years..I am sure that they would like to know if there is an issue with their lumber..
does she have a recourse, there is a signed contract and I told her at the time to do a 10% hold back but, she didn't...
any suggestions...

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
If she has a contract that's great. But it's only worth any if she brings it to court. She may only win if the judge finds that the contractor made an error . In this case this may be hard to prove. So she could be out lawyer fees too. It sounds more like carpenter bees as previously stated anyway. Those beatles would not have survived the process that pressure treated lumber goes through. Tell her to get rid of tge bugs and move on is my best advice

heath

Distinguished Member
not sure about the beetles, they were suppose to use all pressure treated wood but, when they were doing the deck I noticed that they didn't paint the cut ends...for 10 grand you would think that they would just give the courtesy of at least coming and looking at it...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
They look like bumblebees, but shiny. Very good at boring through wood, you can hear them chewing and there will be sawdust outside the hole. Hit it with wasp spray then seal it up.
carpnt_bee_lrg.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
We had carpenter bees in our shed. The wood in the shed is pressure treated and they did not enter a cut end. I just sprayed the holes with bee killer to kill anything in there. Then filled the holes with silicone. I also sprayed around the area with spray paint to kill the aroma attracting any of them from finding their way back.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I had about 30 holes in my upper deck when I moved in, some active, some not. Silicone is definitely your friend.

Only the females have stingers, so you only have a 50% chance or really pissing one off and having a problem :)

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Damn that really sucks , I've built a lot of decks some even 2 and a half stories off ground , and yeah dosent matter if it's $500 project or 20,000, it's your name that you put on at the end of the day , but by not staining cut ends , if it gets worst , then they might need some kind of spray to put on the area after the silicone cures but just my 2cents , I would get a wee can of stain and touch up the areas before the silicone go in , silicone is transparent and it will help the wood and also help when the silicone fails over time .

heath

Distinguished Member
she went to the lumber yard where the limber came from and they are treating well... she bought some stuff yesterday to kill the carpenter beetles and some stain...this deck was finished the 27th of May.. what ever happen to customer service...all they had to do was take 1/2hr come to the house and explain what it was and what she needed to do, not just a flat out no...

chief hill

FYI. I built a pergola and deck used sienna wood from home depot. 2 weeks after found a carpenter bee in a 3" New hole. This wood is all soaked in treated wood. It didn't make a difference to the bee.
I killed it and filled the hole with PL premium construction adhesive. It's much better than silicone.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Word of advice with contractors.... ask around... if they are a carpenter ask your local store... ask for references and pictures of job completed. ... never pay in full up front. I'm in sales at patene building supply. I know bad roofers for instance and not afraid to tell people to not use them. Do your homework and investigate... ask for reputable people from your local building supply!!!!!

heath

Distinguished Member
she did her homework, now the construction was great, they cleaned up the site every night...she isn't blaming the contractor for the bugs she is ust upset that they are no even looking at the problem...

Nighthawk26

It's sad really. Fact is there is SO much work out there, that they simply don't care. Don't get me wrong, there are the odd good ones, but LONG gone are the days for contractors where you might say there perhaps there is a bad apple in the bunch. It's literally the other way around. Someone asked about customer service? That died for the most part a long time ago. With pretty much everything.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
$10,000 for this deck, 8 years old. I had a post on here with his name but he googled himself and called me with threats of lawsuits (classy fella)so I won't re-post his name, but check out his handiwork. He was offended that I called him a hack.... he said it was the owner's fault because they didn't stain it (they did but I didn't bother to correct him). As stated above, get lots of references for any construction job.
1.jpg
2.jpg

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
she did her homework, now the construction was great, they cleaned up the site every night...she isn't blaming the contractor for the bugs she is ust upset that they are no even looking at the problem...
Sorry heath that was meant as just a general statement. I see alot of scum bag contractors.. was using it as an opportunity to educate people... not meant for your friend.... but costumer service these days is absolutely horrible. They should have come back to give her advice.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
$10,000 for this deck, 8 years old. I had a post on here with his name but he googled himself and called me with threats of lawsuits (classy fella)so I won't re-post his name, but check out his handiwork. He was offended that I called him a hack.... he said it was the owner's fault because they didn't stain it (they did but I didn't bother to correct him). As stated above, get lots of references for any construction job.View attachment 8070 View attachment 8071
I'D say he was definitely a hack ..... wood on top of soil... nothing would have stopped that from rotting away.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Another thing to combat these losers.... tell all your friends word gets around easily these days with social media.

Nighthawk26

$10,000 for this deck, 8 years old. I had a post on here with his name but he googled himself and called me with threats of lawsuits (classy fella)so I won't re-post his name, but check out his handiwork. He was offended that I called him a hack.... he said it was the owner's fault because they didn't stain it (they did but I didn't bother to correct him). As stated above, get lots of references for any construction job.View attachment 8070 View attachment 8071
No slander when its fact. You should 9ut him 100%. Let him sue you. Empty threat and typical scare tactic. I loathe these slime balls.
It's sad really. Fact is there is SO much work out there, that they simply don't care. Don't get me wrong, there are the odd good ones, but LONG gone are the days for contractors where you might say there perhaps there is a bad apple in the bunch. It's literally the other way around. Someone asked about customer service? That died for the most part a long time ago. With pretty much everything.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk