Can’t Believe I’m Considering This...

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Wife wants a dwarf goat. From what I’ve seen from briefly surfing the web, it’s not an uncommon pet to have in the city. Anyone here live in a city and own a goat? Still in the pondering stage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shamous113

Um.......he'll be tasty between 1-2 yr old.... honestly the goats out at the in laws farm are more vicious then the dogs. the males are very protective of their turf.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
The goat idea has been put on hold until our human kids aren’t living with us (theoretically about 13 years). In the meantime, it appears I’m about to spend a small fortune on a great dane.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
You won't regret that desicion. They are a great breed. Just remember, dogs are only as good as their owners. Use a good breeder and get pure bred.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The wife has a friend who own three great danes, and used to stud out one of them. Unfortunately, she’s not breeding them anymore, but a wealth of great dane information on hand. Going to look at some purebred puppies tonight, possibly put down a deposit as they won’t be ready for rehoming until august.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I've gone through 3 great danes with the people next door. Great dog breed, but wow they don't last long. Latest dog next door is set for either a knee or hip replacement, and it's 3. I think their first one made it to 8, the second died of something at 4. Every time they are devastated and go right out and get another dog from the same breeder. It's kind of masochistic. You get the dog to where it's trained (sort of) and fitting in with the family, and then boom, gone. As well, their current dog pulls the wife off her feet.

My friends had a little goat that would come over to their place in the country and rip out shrubbery and eat anything it could find. They literally eat anything. It was a nice goat but I could see it being frustrating.

My next dog will be a husky. I love shepherds, but they aren't hard enough on the wildlife around here. I hit a bunny nest with the lawnmower last year, and it was smack in the middle of their grassy area, no way 2 german shepherds weren't aware of them. God that was a mess. So now I want something that just brutalizes anything that gets in the yard. Also, having a dog that is less inclined to be literally glued to my side would be nice. Don't get me wrong, having loyal dogs that just want to be near you is nice, but doing ANYTHING that requires moving around (let's say building a fence) is almost impossible with dogs that don't want you out of sight. From my experience with huskies, they literally don't give a fuck what you're doing, as long as you show up at dinner time, and they have a general idea where you are.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, extra large breed dogs have a shorter life span and are prone to a few problems. You are lucky to get 8-10 out of a dane or mastiff. They are prone to, as you noted, hip issues. We only feed ours food made specifically for extra large breed that supplements many of what they need to grow stronger bones. Yes, that means we are spending almost $200 a month in dog food, but it is best for them. Also xbreeding them may reduce risks of some of these issues, it does remove them. All it does is introduce other unknow potential health issues.

Winks

Website Affiliate
I've had 2 Danes in my life time. They are great dogs. First one was 14 years old when it past away from natural causes so the vet said and had absolutely no problems what so ever. The other one is still living and out on a farm of a friend of mine ( since I live in an apartment now) and is doing great without any problems and is now 12 years old. Maybe I was lucky but both had great personalities and I enjoyed them both.

The only issue I ever had was the size of the piles they left in the back yard. WOW a person could stall a lawn mower if you hit it.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
We added a 50×10' kennel dog run and go through a dozen bales of hay a year filling it. We made the mistake of giving the dogs free reign of the back yard one summer and it took them a few days to turn our yard to dirt/mud lol. We clean it daily with a shovel lol

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Drove 5 hours and put down a $300 deposit on this little girl lastnight. 5 weeks and another $1000 til we bring her home.
4effd9dea6a395266e4c22da3ce6d072.jpg