Can a big Gfo change Cause Tissue necrosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

Recently did a big gfo change and the tissue on some of my sps had peeled off. Is This because of the gfo change? Or something else?
Thanks

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
teebone110 link said:
Too rapid of a change in phosphate can do this.

Agreed ^

You have also just triggered a cycle. You have stripped the food chain of a link. So, there will be a chain reaction die off.

IMO, at this point, don't do anything else. Whats done, is done. The tank will right itself with a continuation of a normal routine. If you keep chasing the problem, changes will happen, and you won't know what is causing what!

Kleko

It seems that what ever I do I cause issues in the tank  :? High phosphates, Do a GFo change.

spyd

Super Active Member
How often do you change your GFO? Once you slowly add GFO initially to the amount you need, then, you can just change out the same amount once a month. If you let it go too long, then swap it out months down the road, it will cause issues as rapid PO4 reduction is not a good thing. Slow level changes are needed.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Kleko link said:
It seems that what ever I do I cause issues in the tank  :? High phosphates, Do a GFo change.
Any change you make should be done gradually. It alters the eco system that keeps our tanks stable.I find that most people make things worse by over reacting. The tank will always right itself.
Sent from my {HTC X8} using Board Express

Kleko

Ya, It has been a while since I changed it. Do sps corals do better with absolutely NO phosphates and nitrates? I have gotten mixed messages from RC and other websites. If someone could clear this up it would be great. I understand that the shock of the phosphate drop was what killed some of my sps. I mean during regular care are 0 nitrates and phosphates desirable.
Thanks
Hows the sixline spyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.