Can I

heath

Distinguished Member
in my 75g mixed tank I have a very large blood shrimp, wondering if I could add a couple of peppermint shrimp.. found a couple of pieces of aptasia that the copperband missed...

Kman

Super Active Member
I have not had an issue mixing these two species together. But it sometimes comes down to the individual shrimp if it will tolerate it or not. But blood shrimp are not normally that aggressive if fed well. More then likely you would be fine but you can't be 100% sure. Instead of shrimp have you tried red sea aiptasia x? That is the stuff I use to clean up aiptasia and it works well.

Joshbrookkate

I have 2 good size blood, 1 large cleaner and 1 peppermint in my tank. Most have been together, no problems, for more than 8 months. Added the second blood shrimp (by mistake, there's a story there lol) a couple months ago. The 2 blood shrimp hang out together now.
I have lots of caves for them, though. And my peppermint does a great job keeping the tank aptaisia-free.

Deptron

I have a blood and two peppermint added after, no problems. Although the peppermint weren't really interested in the few aptasia I had, until I cooked them with Torx's electric wand, then they went CRAZY on them. Guess they like 'me cooked first. Haha

heath

Distinguished Member
I have a blood and two peppermint added after, no problems. Although the peppermint weren't really interested in the few aptasia I had, until I cooked them with Torx's electric wand, then they went CRAZY on them. Guess they like 'me cooked first. Haha

tell me more about the cooking..

Deptron

@TORX will be able to explain it better, but It basically electrocutes them. It's a long wand with a needle like end on it with an electrical charge running through it.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
@TORX will be able to explain it better, but It basically electrocutes them. It's a long wand with a needle like end on it with an electrical charge running through it.

It is just a DIY aiptasia zapper, also called a manajo wand. You can buy them for $130+. I did a little DIY on it here. But I made a better one afterwards. The first was just for a trial to see if I could do it and make it work.

kjardine519

Ive seen a shirmp only setup on reefcentral, there was a variety of shrimp mixed with soft coral. They were introduced months apart! A really neat looking 30g long tank