Can low Carbonate hardness kill fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

I learned recently That I have low dkH. I haven't been able to keep clown fish for over 4 months, While Sps, Lps, and softies do great in the tank. Can low hardness of 6.7 dkH kill fish.
Thanks for you thought

jroovers

Super Active Member
6.7 doesn't seem like it is too low.  I would say that fish should do just fine at that level of dkh.  I htink a lot of people with SPS and ULNS systems run in the 7 to 8 range.  I'm not sure if there are any negative health effects below that level though (for fish that is versus coral).  I'm guessing there are plenty of FOWLR tanks that have low dkh that don't get tested and the fish are just fine.  I would look at possible other causes.  Clownfish are pretty hardy, perplexing that you aren't having any luck.  Can you provide a bit more info on your past experiences?

Kleko

Ive had 6 clown fish die in the last year. Along with one six line and a scoop as tang. Its weird because corals and inverts should die way before fish should. The corals and inverts are just perfect. Im feeding frozen missis and bryne. I thought of trying a pellet for the fish to see how it works. The clowns would swim slowly along the bottom the night before they would die. Towards my last clowns I could tell the night of that they were and no water changes or anything could stop it.
Hope that's a little more information 

nitro069

hmmmmm. hard to say. i learned all about reefing the hard way-trial and error while i had a clown and hes been through hell and back. don't think i could kill that guy if i tried. I hope you can figure it out.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Kleko link said:
Ive had 6 clown fish die in the last year. Along with one six line and a scoop as tang. Its weird because corals and inverts should die way before fish should. The corals and inverts are just perfect. Im feeding frozen missis and bryne. I thought of trying a pellet for the fish to see how it works. The clowns would swim slowly along the bottom the night before they would die. Towards my last clowns I could tell the night of that they were and no water changes or anything could stop it.
Hope that's a little more information

Always remember that fish are subject to many diseases that coral and inverts are not........
I currently have a fish disease in my tank...... I believe it started with a couple anthias, spread to the clown, and the CBB.....clown and anthias died right away but oddly enough the CBB is trying to fight thru it.....he acts healthy but I can see the small white extruding spots on him......so I have this fish problem but my coral is A+
I just hope this does not spread to anymore fish and either the CBB makes it or he doesn't just as long as I can keep a few in there for now and then I will likely be waiting a few months after I no longer see spots to add anymore fish.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kleko

So my dad just said that everything in the aquarium was "brown" . The corals seem great to me, later this evening im going to post a ton of pictures of all my corals, and get the forums opinion on how they look. The aquariums corals Have declined, from loosing an entire colony of zoanthids to shrinking candycane heads. I would just like to get everyone's opinion.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
High alk seemed to cause my zoas to recede and die.  Coulda been coincidence though.

Clownfish disease?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I was going to say clownfish disease as well.......IMO it is probably a fish disease of some sort.....usually this is how they go.....even if you have high ammonia or something usually stressed fish will contract parasites and die.....
I have also heard it is best to wait a few months after parasites disappear to add anything again.....because the newly acclimated fish will be stressed and can easily allow any remaining parasites to attach.....a few questions.....
How do you know fish are sick? Do you see parasites? Do they stop eating?
If your corals are good then your alk and ph I can't see affecting your fish.....
Definitely something targeting the fish only if in fact coral is healthy.....so if that's the case it has to be a fish disease/parasites or predator....what else is all in the tank?

Kleko

There were no sicknesses physicaly on the clowns. Aftrr watching clowns behavior the night before I Could just tell. They would swim around lathargically. On the sand. They did this at no other times

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Hmmmm.....usually there will be visible signs on the fish if it is a disease.....

Kleko

Theres some reason why. Just have to figure it out. If anyone finds anything over the web of unusual fish deaths. Feel free to post here.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Get some new life spectrum pellets before u try again. I so it's only clownfish but you have other fish that are ok?

spyd

Super Active Member
The fact that your corals are all going brown tells me it's either nitrates or phosphates. Do you have accurate water tests? I would check both of these levels. What size tank? How many fish? Do you run a skimmer?

Kleko

I have a six line. He is great! I have api test kits. I run a skimmer, and gfo carbon reactors. The reactors are empty at the moment I need to buy more regents.

Reef hero. They are fine to me. I dont think there brown, its my dads thoughts.

Tank is 40 gal and 15gal sump.One fish, the sixline.
Thanks

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Are you sure the six line is not harassing the other fish......the six line can become very aggressive for a small bugger.....not really recommended to be added first....probably last.....even behind tangs....

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I have a watchman goby who attacked a clown,  the clown was a new introduction to the tank. It took me too long to see him actually attack the fish and I lost it. I think he was badgering the clown at night. He can be a beligerant li'l shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.