Canopy Ventilation

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Building a canopy for forum member, and wondering what the best way to ventilate it would be. He's using a diy led fixture which sounds like it's going to give off a lot of heat. I'm going to utilize 2x 3" fans. Should they be:

A) both on top blowing air out
B) one on the side blowing in, one on top blowing out

It's a cube tank in the corner of the room, so putting a fan on each side blowing air straight through isn't an option without ruining a wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I'd maybe even skip a fan on top blowing out in favour of two fans blowing in cool air, heat rises so all you'd need to do is ventilate the top be it with holes, screen, black frag rack insert even would be functional. Perhaps some fine holes speaker grills would make nice hole covers, possible to find at audio stores.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I'd maybe even skip a fan on top blowing out in favour of two fans blowing in cool air, heat rises so all you'd need to do is ventilate the top be it with holes, screen, black frag rack insert even would be functional. Perhaps some fine holes speaker grills would make nice hole covers, possible to find at audio stores.
Hey! Did i say there was a third option? Just kidding :) To me a fan on top would pull out hot air faster, though i could be wrong. Thanks for complicating things!

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I look at it this way. Holes will work regardless of fan intake. So if powered off. Excess heat will dissipate upwards. Also if fan fails heat can still easily dissipate.
Just saying can't change the laws of physics

Themaddhatter

I'm picturing a fan on each backside blowing inwards and some sort of grilled opening on top.. Will this affect my drywall at all? Both back sides are within 3 to 4 inches of the walls

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Jeff. Have an opening in the centre say 3" wide. Full width. Mount a sheet of aluminum say 12" wide on standoffs about 3/4" off top surface. Mount led to that cover opening with appropriate material. Ur speaker grill, frag rack, peg board.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Jeff. Have an opening in the centre say 3" wide. Full width. Mount a sheet of aluminum say 12" wide on standoffs about 3/4" off top surface. Mount led to that cover opening with appropriate material. Ur speaker grill, frag rack, peg board.
Great idea, but won't work in this case. The canopy opens diagonally (being in a corner it allows full access to visible sides). The light will fit only one way: diagonally right under the hinge line.
dd129b5eb5bb22fa97db160686fdc6a7.jpg
060fde662dd487ee342b2d32ba33b839.jpg

Themaddhatter

There will be holes in the back for wiring etc already. Why not just put both fans on top, blowing out? The air will pill in from the holes on the sides, which we can adjust accordingly...?

Themaddhatter

Did you ever get around to checking how hot the light actually gets?

No, to be honest. I was planning to run them for a couple of hours last night but evening shift killed it. I'll try tonight and get some temp readings.