Carbon Dose Or Not.

scottbennett86

Just some back info. I had high nitrates and hair algae. Started carbon dosing to deal with these issues when the tank was under a month after adding livestock. Now I was wondering if it really was needed so I lowered the dose then eliminated it. The changes that I noticed are no nitrates returned but the hair algae did, but mostly in the refugium. The corals might look slightly better and the pod population has exploded. Should I return to carbon dosing or not? Or possibly return but on a very reduced dose. Trying to decide on the healthiest course of action here. Just looking for opinions to try and decide here.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just to clarify, carbon dosing is not the ideal way to control algae. Carbon dosing typically reduces nitrates. Hair algae grows with higher phosphates and lighting. Carbon dosing is not very effective in reducing phosphates. You should test that level before making any big decisions from here. The steps would be to carbon dose until you have nitrates under control and then reduce, do not stop carbon dosing. Once they are where you like, use a phosphate reducer, such as GFO, to lower if your phosphate levels are high. Also review your lighting. If you are running t5, it may be time to change bulbs.

Last edited:

scottbennett86

T5 in the sump so that may be the issue yes. Next steps I think are gfo and new T5. I am leaning towards not using carbon dosing even though my tank seamed ok. I will check for phosphates when I get home but I have never even in my previous outbreak had a positive test. I am still trying to settle and decide what I like. I am not averse to ever doing it but I think I will try and avoid it for now.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
I myself only use carbon dosing when my system is new. It is good in the beginning when bacteria levels are low in newly established systems that need help. As it ages I find it causes more issues then it is worth and i always remove. It causes things like slime or hair algae.

More natural methods for nutrient reductions are effective and a lower cost to run. A refugium full of macro algae and a darker area in the tank called a cryptic zone that fosters animals like sponger and sea squirts that use up nitrates and P04 will go a long way at keeping your system clean. This can be under the macro or have its own section of tank. This method also fosters the food web on top of nutrient processing. A healthy food web is a healthy productive reef.

Like mentioned above check the T5 and replace as needed. Check all source for nitrates and phosphates and try to limit the introduction of them in things like source water or added foods.