cell usage

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Is there anyone here that uses cell or mifi for internet usage?  I have a ipad with a 5 gb limit at bell. And the over useage is 15 a mb.      I can get a mifi also and run either one till I hit the 5 gb and use the other device.    Both are not on contract plans.  Just wondering if there is others out there that go over there limits and what they do to keep costs down. 

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Just get a good data plan on your cell and share it with the ipad using personal hotspot or bluetooth access point (which I prefer because it uses less juice on the phone).  When at home use your home wifi internet.

I used to have a 4G wireless stick for work but just use the data from my phone now via bluetooth.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
Is there anyone here that uses cell or mifi for internet usage?  I have a ipad with a 5 gb limit at bell. And the over useage is 15 a mb.      I can get a mifi also and run either one till I hit the 5 gb and use the other device.    Both are not on contract plans.  Just wondering if there is others out there that go over there limits and what they do to keep costs down.
I have unlimited data...

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
who has unlimited data?....prolly only in certain citys on the 401 corrider
I am with Wind Mobile

40 bucks a month unlimited everything as long as I am in a zone which I almost always am.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Petercar link said:

Wind has unlimited data, and I have heard it blows for coverage.

I have 6 gigs on my rogers plan, which is about 90 bucks a month and I go over from time to time. I am always on wifi at home and work too. lol. I use my phone constantly for email and internet for work though. I also have 300 min day time and unlimited evenings & weekends starting at 6 pm, I can tell you I go over that very often as well. I need a plan like the ones in the states where everything is unlimited for 30 bucks a month. lol.

AdamS

My wife and I have 6gb data plans on your phones, and share it with our iPad and laptop (how darryl suggests). We cannot get high speed at our house, which is probably part of the reason we have 3 kids 3 years and under.  My wife uses very little data and I use a little more, but we never go over. We also don't download anything.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:

www.windmobile.ca  does but its very miss-leading as there "unlimited" plans you get full data rate till 10gb than they throttle your speed to a horribly slow 256kps (1/4Mbs).  Also the coverage areas are limited but if you dont plan on leaving the city.....not bad.  IM not sure if they are up to 4G/LTE speeds yet either and there data plans for the phones will not pass p2p traffic (torrent type stuff).

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
theyangman link said:
I have 6 gigs on my rogers plan, which is about 90 bucks a month and I go over from time to time. I am always on wifi at home and work too.

What the hell are you streaming while driving to and from work lol? Are you sure you are on their wifi when at work? I use mine all day for internet, email, attachments, facebook, youtube, photos, google maps/navigation and tapatalk and I do not go over a Gb. I even download apps and such off wifi sometimes.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I checked out Windmobile as well, only good if you are in their coverage area, which is very limited. It is a GREAT deal for anyone in the coverage area, even if you consider the throttling after 10GB, that is a lot of data in the first place. But you get raped as soon as you leave the zones.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I am 100% on wifi. My email and internet usage is constant. I am almost always on my phone doing something work related. My business is a matter of minutes between landing a deal and losing one. So it's very important. My email client is set to check once a minute. Im also always writing quotes and scanning for cars online as well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
I am with Wind Mobile

40 bucks a month unlimited everything as long as I am in a zone which I almost always am.
check the fine print.  Not unlimited really as they drop your speed after 10GB.  Have you tried a www.speedtest.net on their network?  Curious what the speeds would be like.
Its still unlimited just at a slower speed which I dont think I have used even 5 gbs a month.

Here is two samples that I just did.

I have no idea what these mean but I am sure the 2nd one is better as the number is higher.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Petercar link said:

In direct answer to your question, I just know my usage. I use Wifi at home and avoid streaming por...i mean movies when not on Wifi. The best option for you would to learn your usage personality and shop according to your area. My wife only uses 10-20mb a month, when I use 1Gb (1024mb) a month. My dad paid for a 2 gb (2048mb) plan and never went over 500mb. Most phones will list your usage as well, your online bill should update daily with usage.  Also, like others have mentioned, there are places like Windmobile if you do not travel much. I myself have a small $90 business plan with Telus. I could just get a second phone that is US billed, but then I have to worry about 2 phones and 2 bills.

Learn what you use, then shop from there.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
i use the fragtank ,facebook,hotmail,weather radar , and get to 5 gb by the 23rd day ..i get a lot of emails,texts,bbms on my blackebrry it is a good thing some youtube videos womt work on the ipad.  so i watch them at home ..i do app updates on my ipad on wifi at home or at mickies

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=6352.msg61647#msg61647 date=1379948199]
I am with Wind Mobile

check the fine print.  Not unlimited really as they drop your speed after 10GB.  Have you tried a www.speedtest.net on their network?  Curious what the speeds would be like.
Its still unlimited just at a slower speed which I dont think I have used even 5 gbs a month.

Here is two samples that I just did.

I have no idea what these mean but I am sure the 2nd one is better as the number is higher.
[/quote]Technically unlimited yes but if you are thinking of using it for home use it is very limited.  LIke I said it wont pass file sharing traffic and throttles speed to a .25Mbs after 10Gb.  That is really slow.

Your tests show 3.3Mps and 5.2Mps.  They arent bad but they arent 4GLTE speeds.....4GHSPA+ probably or they just throttle the network or their internet pipe is getting saturated.  Not that bell is the greatest but I usually get around 16Mps when I test.  This doesnt mean a lot unless you are a fairly heavy user of course.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Torx link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=6352.msg61613#msg61613 date=1379941910]

In direct answer to your question, I just know my usage. I use Wifi at home and avoid streaming por...i mean movies when not on Wifi. The best option for you would to learn your usage personality and shop according to your area. My wife only uses 10-20mb a month, when I use 1Gb (1024mb) a month. My dad paid for a 2 gb (2048mb) plan and never went over 500mb. Most phones will list your usage as well, your online bill should update daily with usage.  Also, like others have mentioned, there are places like Windmobile if you do not travel much. I myself have a small $90 business plan with Telus. I could just get a second phone that is US billed, but then I have to worry about 2 phones and 2 bills.

Learn what you use, then shop from there.
[/quote]i dont truck over ti the usa ..but i cant use windmobile  cuz wind isnt in the sarnia area either ..also telus and rogers are not the greatest north of lindon along the lake huron area and in between the 400 hiway  so when i am done for the night wherever i am like up in the boondocks i use the ipad  or my ipad is always on. i guess i can always refresh my facebook on my blackberry more then the upad    i have the 100 dollar plan on my blackberry cuz of the work emails and texts  id like them to throw out my voice plans. cuz i can neber use a phone. but the pnly way i can get a discount on a phone is the landline.    evey cell proveder says to bad to sad. if im deaf and cant use a phone they saiy a cell phone is a luzury

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Cheers to LTE, our network must be largely unused so far.

Telus

I can also confirm it will pass torrent data at those speeds.. But I only have 2gb on my data plan. It's 10 bucks extra every gig u go over with a limit of 50$ for overages.. So technically u could use Telus for your home service.. And pay the 50$ extra.. But like Darryl said I'm sure if you go way way over they will throttle u back as its not intended to be used like that.