Ceres' Headfirst Plunge Into 20g... Reckless

CeresReef

Hi All,

Well, after over a year of research and jealously following along others, I have decided it is time for me to wade into Reef Keeping, although my knowledge to date suggests me physically entering a tank may stress out my inhabitants.

My setup plan at the moment is as follows:

-Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 - Currently being leak tested!
-Kessil A80 Tuna Blue LED - I have been stalking the forums and online retailers looking to get one of these for $120 or less (CAD)
-Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75w - on the way!
-Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200 Return Pump/Powerhead - More on this later
-A bunch of rock and sand - Going to head down to the Dundas/Tomken area of Mississauga, 4 LFS in 2 blocks, I am sure I will find something decent

My livestock will be as follows:

-2 occy clownfish
-1 Firefish
-1 Shrimp/Goby combo
-1 Porcelain Crab
-1 Blood Shrimp

-Frogspawn
-Gorg
-Hammer
-Dragon's Breath Macro
-Chaeto in the back (will do the light cutout thing and just have a regular bulb)
Plus any easy coral I find.

I have one question to get this all started. With the above mentioned stocking goals, if I get two of the IM SpinStreams, should I use the MJ1200 as a powerhead, or will I have enough flow just replacing the stock return pump with it, allowing me to use the stock pump in a QT or mixing station?

Pictures will follow once I have actual saltwater in the tank

Wish me luck!

Ceres

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I found the spinstreams to be over priced and not very effective. They required monthly cleaning. Just my personal observation. I did use Hydor Koralia powerheads for added flow, The return pump always seemed to have enough flow for its use. The lights that are sold with it are pretty good But upgrading is always nice.
I still have the tank in a box in my closet, I found that it was too small to house some fish I wanted but your list looks good and the corals look do able.

good luck! its a marathon not a sprint in this hobby. Only good things come with time.

WiredWeasel

I am of the same opinion as nonuser regarding the spin streams. I've since moved onto trying these vivid aquarium random flow generators from aquarium depot. They seem to be less maintenance due to having no moving parts. However, it doesnt appear to be "random" flow just circular.

CeresReef

Alright, time for a small update, I have now gathered all my equipment. I got an Accu-therm 75w instead of the Neo-therm, and someone sold me the A80 light for a great price, it has arrived at a friend of the family's house in South Carolina, my parents are going there in a week and will pick it up for me. Thanks for the heads up on the spin streams, I ended up just grabbing one to start, to see how I like it.

I am going with dry rock to start, and dry sand, so the cycle has begun, as with no worry of die off, I don't need to have the light in place. Once the light is hooked up I will add a few handfuls of live sand from a fellow local reefer, and a bit of live rock to help move the cycle along. I have changed my mind on the scape a few times, and I have settled on having a concave wall of rock, with a nice centerpiece coral on an island in the center.

Will post pictures once the light is hooked up, so bear with me another week or two.

Cheers
-Ceres