Found Chiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winks

Website Affiliate
A temp tix might be to put ice in a ziplock freezer bag and put it in the sump. It will bring the temperature down. Just keep an eye on it that it doesn't drop too fast or too much. I would also check to make sure whatever you're measuring the temperature with is somewhat correct. What is the room temperature?

Seasquirt

Room temp is 81. It has come down to 80. I put a big box fan blowing right into the sump compartment and it’s cooling it,
I thought about filling bottles with ice and floating them but I didn’t want to displace the water and my sg. It’s all good but it took all evening to get to where I wanted it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bugger

1/5 hp arctica jbj looking for 400 dollars

Attachments

• 16236959769114719407928388881500.jpg
    16236959769114719407928388881500.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 74

Seasquirt

It’s for the 125, yes you are probably right, the reviews on that particular unit are good, it is a bit out of my budget, I’ll have to think about some more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasquirt

I do still have the MP10 but I had offered 350 3or4 days ago and didn’t get a reply

Reefgrrl

Website
www.youtube.com
So I don’t know if you’re into any type of DIY but there’s a really easy DIY chiller a guy on YouTube has made. Total cost was around $200. He took a plug-in beverage cooler, drilled entry and exit holes in it for bulkheads, ran a hose from his sump through the bulkheads and coiled it up inside the chiller, then it exited back into his sump. I can’t remember the type of small pump he used to push the water through the hose. I think he uses an Inkbird temperature controller to turn the chiller on and off, and the water in the hose runs continuously. The channel is Calipso’s Reef’s (that’s how he spells it) and the video is called DIY Chiller, should be easy to find. Someday, I’m going to make one, just to have it handy if I need it.

Seasquirt

So I don’t know if you’re into any type of DIY but there’s a really easy DIY chiller a guy on YouTube has made. Total cost was around $200. He took a plug-in beverage cooler, drilled entry and exit holes in it for bulkheads, ran a hose from his sump through the bulkheads and coiled it up inside the chiller, then it exited back into his sump. I can’t remember the type of small pump he used to push the water through the hose. I think he uses an Inkbird temperature controller to turn the chiller on and off, and the water in the hose runs continuously. The channel is Calipso’s Reef’s (that’s how he spells it) and the video is called DIY Chiller, should be easy to find. Someday, I’m going to make one, just to have it handy if I need it.

Thank you for this great idea, we don’t need a chiller very often but when we do, it’s a must, I am very limited for space, the chiller that this fellow has for sale is the size that I need and it has very good reviews, yes it is expensive but a new one would be double that, thanks again,

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Those do work, but are very limited on tank size and also create a lot of room heat. I had one for my seahorse tank and it barely kept the 60 gallon down a few degrees. Basically if the fridge can be used as a stand, then that is the max tank size.

Reefgrrl

Website
www.youtube.com
Those do work, but are very limited on tank size and also create a lot of room heat. I had one for my seahorse tank and it barely kept the 60 gallon down a few degrees. Basically if the fridge can be used as a stand, then that is the max tank size.
I believe he’s using it on a 40 breeder with sump. It’s not a fridge that he used, it’s a small beverage cooler that’s meant for about six cans. He’s maximized the amount of hose coiled inside the cavity to get the most out of the heat exchange. These do generate some external heat, it’s unavoidable. But it isn’t significant and can be managed. I don’t believe a “real” chiller that small even exists. In our climate chillers are only needed occasionally (provided we have AC and if you have a reef tank, even a same-room AC unit imo is worth the investment) and only need to create a slight drop in temperature, so for intermittent temperature adjustment, that thing works great. We’re not talking taking the tank from 85 down to 78, it’s more like going from 82 to 79 during a heat wave. If we lived in the desert, and/or didn’t have AC no question it wouldn’t be practical. I think it beats spending several hundred dollars on a “real” chiller that you only need once in a while. ‍

Seasquirt

You say it’s not worth it to spend several hundred dollars on a chiller that you only use here and there and I agree, if it were a new chiller and those new are 800 plus. That’s not the case here.

I’m purchasing a used chiller for approx a quarter of the new price, my tank is in my living room and I have a window air conditioner that does cool that room but not enough to cool my tank to my liking, I have it set for 72 and it never shuts off.

My tank means a lot to me, it’s a Reef tank with a lot of money and time not to mention that I’m willing to spend to get it to operate smoothly. I’m looking forward to seeing my temp values at 81 tops not 84 and once I have it then I will keep it. It won’t be for sale when I don’t need it.

Reefgrrl

Website
www.youtube.com
You say it’s not worth it to spend several hundred dollars on a chiller that you only use here and there and I agree, if it were a new chiller and those new are 800 plus. That’s not the case here.

I’m purchasing a used chiller for approx a quarter of the new price, my tank is in my living room and I have a window air conditioner that does cool that room but not enough to cool my tank to my liking, I have it set for 72 and it never shuts off.

My tank means a lot to me, it’s a Reef tank with a lot of money and time not to mention that I’m willing to spend to get it to operate smoothly. I’m looking forward to seeing my temp values at 81 tops not 84 and once I have it then I will keep it. It won’t be for sale when I don’t need it.

Whoa! I meant no offence or criticism. Trust me, I get that our reef tanks need to be supported in any way possible to keep them safe, and in no way am I telling you how to spend your money. From the tone of the posts, I gathered you were not making headway in your attempts to buy the used chiller, so I offered what I thought might be an alternative to get you through until you could sort something out. My bad. Won’t make that mistake again. Jeez.

Seasquirt

Whoa! I meant no offence or criticism. Trust me, I get that our reef tanks need to be supported in any way possible to keep them safe, and in no way am I telling you how to spend your money. From the tone of the posts, I gathered you were not making headway in your attempts to buy the used chiller, so I offered what I thought might be an alternative to get you through until you could sort something out. My bad. Won’t make that mistake again. Jeez.

O come on, I wasn’t offended, I think I thanked you for your idea, we all like to hear alternative ideas so thank you, I had made an agreement to get the chiller, it’s just that I was waiting for another deal to be finalized before I could pick the chiller up, which I did on Monday, I left my home at 645 am, met a fellow Reefer in London then took number 3 hwy to St Catherine’s to get the chiller,

That was a big mistake, taking hwy 3 to St Catherine’s, i I picked the Chiller up at 330, 5.5 hours on hwy 3, I did stop twice for food but hey, I didn’t get home til 630, but the Chiller works and I picked up an amazing skimmer for a future build.

Status
Not open for further replies.