Clownfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

partydiver

Clownfish B&W. Has pieces of fin missing, discoloriation in areas on the side. Acting normal.....
Last night someone heard him jump out of the water and fall back in..

partydiver

I think I figuried out what it was....

Ive had a maxi jet 900 pump. I use it on my skimmer for my tank, Ii only run my skimmer every once in a while. So the other day while I was running my skimmer I noticed some of my kenya tree corals 'fragging' them selfs and most other coral closed up, my fish were acting funny.  Today I was mixing up some fresh saltwater in a bucket and I went to test it with my hydrometer and it falls in so i put my hand in and I got a huge shock! I think its from the maxijet being in the tank....

Is this the reason?
Why would the other clown be unaffected?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
How To Test for Stray Voltage

Purchase or borrow a voltage meter. They can generally be found for less than $20 at most automotive parts or hardware store. Try Canadian Tire: Mastercraft Deluxe Digital Volt Meter for Sale $14.99 Reg. $54.99 :)
Turn the selector to "120 AC Voltage".
Insert the tip of the black probe into the third or "grounding" hole in an electrical outlet.
Insert the metal tip of the red probe into the tank water.
Watch the meter for any changes. Any changes indicates a voltage leak in your system.

How To Identify the Voltage Leak Source

One at a time, disconnect each electrical appliance (heaters, pumps, lights, chiller) associated with your tank, retesting for voltage as described above after each unit is disconnected. Heaters and pumps (powerheads) are the most frequent cause of voltage leaks.

How To Solve the Voltage Leak

Replace (recommended) or repair the faulty unit. Test the tank once again to make sure that you have eliminated the problem.
Install a simple grounding probe in the tank to avoid damage to the tank inhabitants. This may temporarily take care of the symptoms of stray voltage, but it does not cure the cause of the problem.

Many aquarists test their tanks for stray voltage on a regular basis as a part of their normal tank maintenance routine. Detecting a voltage leak problem in its early stages can help eliminate or reduce problems in the future.

[sub]Source: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/aquariummaintenancecare/a/aastrayvoltage.htm[/sub]

And yes... stray voltage can cause your fish to go lethargic. Also Head & Lateral Line Erosion Disease (HLLD)

partydiver

Fish looked healthy again, yesterday.

Look in the tank today and its gone! no visable signs of death (snails all over not in one area).... But my maxi mini seems healthy and have a big round spot in tube/feet area.  Could it have ate my fish?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
First off, sorry for your loss  :'(

You said earlier that
partydiver link said:
Last night someone heard him jump out of the water and fall back in..
Any chances he jumped out?
If so, got a cat?

I found my clown a few feet away from my tank when he jumped out due to my heater crapping out and over heating my tank. The cat was the one that showed me because he was digging to get behind a shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.