Clowns laid eggs

mark0933

Well, been in this hobby a very long time, a first for me is unusual...been there done that for most fish, etc. but my clownfish have finally laid their first batch of eggs.  Not sure about trying to raise these guys but when should they hatch.  I noticed the eggs last night (they were orange/yellow) today they have more silvery color to them. 

They are Percs by the way.

Mark

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Congrats !!! I believe it's 9 days after their laid that they will hatch. The 9th night an hour or so after lights out they will hatch.

waldo

mark0933 link said:
Well, been in this hobby a very long time, a first for me is unusual...been there done that for most fish, etc. but my clownfish have finally laid their first batch of eggs.  Not sure about trying to raise these guys but when should they hatch.  I noticed the eggs last night (they were orange/yellow) today they have more silvery color to them. 

They are Percs by the way.

Mark
That's great now you  should get them every 6 to 8 weeks.
Are these in your Ocean or in another tank setup? 

mark0933

They are in my "ocean" and the reason they have not laid in the past is that the male was very immature.  He seems to be tending them well, the female has no interest in them at all.  They were laid on the inside of a long passed giant clam shell.

I might consider moving the pair to a separate tank in the future, but then again the arabian and orchid dottybacks spawn all the time in my tank too and I just let nature run its course with them.  Ohh to have 30 or 40 more hours in a week, I would like to raise all these little guys (and more).

Mark

reeffreak

Super Active Member
mark moving the pair could result in never seeing eggs ever again. The female wont tend the eggs I believe only the male will clean them and get rid of the dead ones, also he will be the only one to clean the spot on a rock for the eggs to be laid....  It will be less then 6 weeks before you see more, more like 2-3 weeks ...  I apologize for the 4 posts not sure what happened there ... Damn tap talk.

waldo

reeffreak link said:
mark moving the pair could result in never seeing eggs ever again. The female wont tend the eggs I believe only the male will clean them and get rid of the dead ones, also he will be the only one to clean the spot on a rock for the eggs to be laid....  It will be less then 6 weeks before you see more, more like 2-3 weeks ...  I apologize for the 4 posts not sure what happened there ... Damn tap talk.
Your correct reeffreak, I looked at my stats on my perc's and they were laying every 3 to 4 weeks but then I moved  :(
Sea Life was babysitting them for me for about 6 months and they spawned for them in their system.
I put them back in my tank but the anemone died in at Sea Life so they had no home and the male jumped  :'(
These were True perc's so now on the hunt for a new one.

I have a good book on raising these little ones if you would like it Mark.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
waldo link said:
ClownFishes
A Guide To There captive Breeding
By:  Joyce D. Wilkerson

Best book out there for clownfish breeding, although I was never able to get my hands on one threw any store around.

waldo

Great book but Mark's got allot of work ahead to get sett up for raising food for the fry!!
But sure is awesome when you see the outcome.
I am sure he would be good at it anyway he gave me some good tips on Bangii Fry  :)

mark0933

Bangii fry are easy, just feed them and they take care of the rest.  I never got used to rotifers when I was doing seahorses, and don't really have time to do them now, maybe next time I will be prepared. 

Mark

D

draper

ABOUT 8 DAYS. MAYBE 9. WHEN THEY Are translucent and silvery they will hatch 30 minutes after the lights go out on that last day.

D

draper

now they will lay eggs consistently week after week after week.  watch