Clowns laid eggs

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
draper link said:
now they will lay eggs consistently week after week after week.  watch

The cycle is more than a weeks to lay, fertilize and hatch new fry. 
draper link said:
ABOUT 8 DAYS. MAYBE 9. WHEN THEY Are translucent and silvery they will hatch 30 minutes after the lights go out on that last day.

Actually it is the night following the day the eyes are visible. 

curiousphil

Super Active Member
It's funny that this thread popped up, I know another guy who recently had his clownfish start laying eggs as well.  What is the chance that, if they hatch, they can actually grow in a reef tank?  I always understood that the babies would just get eaten - probably by the parents.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
curiousphil link said:
It's funny that this thread popped up, I know another guy who recently had his clownfish start laying eggs as well.  What is the chance that, if they hatch, they can actually grow in a reef tank?  I always understood that the babies would just get eaten - probably by the parents.

They wouldn't survive, chances are pretty slim. They would for sure get eaten.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Figured so, bummer!  So if you get a pair that starts breeding in a reef tank,  you are pretty much SOL?  Either they get eaten, or filtered out, and if you move the clowns to a breeder they will likely stop effing?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
curiousphil link said:
Figured so, bummer!  So if you get a pair that starts breeding in a reef tank,  you are pretty much SOL?  Either they get eaten, or filtered out, and if you move the clowns to a breeder they will likely stop effing?

yup even if all other fish were removed they would still be doomed, there is probably food baby clowns could eat, like rotifers in everyones tank, but theres just no way to get the density per gallon up high enough for the babys to eat enough to survive.

if there breeding now, in a new tank it will throw them off for a month.. maybe it wont.. maybe they wont breed again for a year.. but if you do go that route, just feed them very very heavily and they should return to their routine quickly.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
You can still breed the clown fry. If your lucky enough to get them to start laying on a small chunk of rock that you can easily remove into another tank. Or a tile.

You would need to feed the rots phytoplankton  as well as feed the clown fry the rots. It's not a very easy process. But the clown fry in the display can be reared.

Bayinaung

hey are your clowns still laying eggs?  sorry for reviving the DEAD :)  I've been reading in the breeding section in RC. they say let the first few batches go. they will likely lay eggs on the same place again and you can move that clam shell to a raising tank next time, or suck out the newly hatched fry late at night.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Pistol link said:
[quote author=draper link=topic=5867.msg65355#msg65355 date=1382485994]
now they will lay eggs consistently week after week after week.  watch
after week after week after week after week, silly clowns.
[/quote]

After my friend's clowns did spawned once, I expected this... but it never happened again.  It's been over six months.